• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling geting started questions - I'm new to H2O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robbiem01

How much will it cost to get me started watercooling. I dont want to buy the cheepest stuff because I will prob just end up upgrading it if that happens. Please tell me everything that is on your watercooling wish-list so I dont have to buy two of every part.

Also, please explain or link me to a page that shows all the diff ways to water cool. I dont understand all this stuff you guys are talking about when I read the watercooling posts. Whats a radiator, block, tank, bong...? This sounds like a great summer project and I think i'd be willing to get started if I knew it would improve temps and be quiet. Also, why do some watercooling setups have 3 or 4 fans? That kinda defeats the purpose of quiet doesn't it?

Thanks in advance for all the help

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Hey Robbiem01.

My wish list includes (or would, because I already watercool);
Eheim 1048 waterpump....www.DangerDen.com
HeaterCore (radiator).......DangerDen (prefab) or AutoZone (mefab)
Silicone 1/2" or 3/8" tubing..........DangerDen or www.McMaster.com
4"x4"x4" plastic project box from Home Depot for use as a reservior.
Gemini Waterblock...........www.geminicool.com

As for what all the pieces are, there are heaps of articles accessable from the front page www.overclockers.com >tips&tecniques>watercooling.

To direct link a couple, there's Bongs and a good article on Radiators. One replaces the other, depending on what you want your system to be...portable, low maintenence or fixed in place with lower temperatures.
Reserviors are not necessarily needed, and do take up space inside the case, but many use them with great results. They speed filling and letting out the air trapped in the once dry tubing.

Waterblocks are simply a metalic waterjacket that absorbs heat directly from the processor (replacing the hsf) with the cooling water circulating through it. This warmed water is pumped to the radiator or bong where airflow is used to remove heat from the water. Most are far more capable of removing heat than many heatsink/fan's because of their much larger surface area and the ability of water to move heat much better.

Any more questions? Let 'er rip.

Last edited:
OP
R

Robbiem01

Great reply! Just in time for me to readup on during my spring break! Thanks for all the help! I'll prob have more q's but I dont have any yet. ohh just thought of one. How much did your setup cost? How much would it cost if you had done it with the best stuff (considering price)?

Dissolved

well mine will cost me around 200, cuz im probly gonna add some extra's :)
but there are Tons of reveiws/info on the main page www.overclockers.com, and serch the forums..
"The only thing better then asking a Question, is Searching For the Answer First" -me :)

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Mine only cost me $100. I had much of the stuff and I bought the Danner water pump. It's decent once I modified it's leaks, I just want more flow. I had a Ford heatercore in the garage, and I'm a 10 on the Red Green handiness scale, so I did much of the work myself including making my own waterblock (poor dremel) soldering, wiring, etc...

To buy all the parts wouldn't be much more though, about $150-200 because you also have to buy all the tools, adhesives, parts etc...when you build your own.

Have a good break, I'm too old and too married to go chasing tail in Florida!:cry:

OP
R

Robbiem01

I got some Q's-

1) The gemini waterblock says that 1/4" fittings are used but you said to buy either 3/8 or 1/2" silicone tubing. Do I have to buy 1/4" tubing or do I just need some kind of connector tube?

2) I should put AS3 between the waterblock and cpu just like a hsf right?

3) About how many ft of tubbing should I order?

4) Bong is the non-portable watercooling setup right? If so I want the mobile setup.

5) Is getting a pelt neccesary? Could I easily add one later if I wanted one?

6) At the McMaster site there is a table with all the tubing sizes available and in each row there are 3 diff sizes listed. There is an "ID", "OD", and "Wall" size. For example the first row of the table says 1/16"(ID) 1/8"(OD) 1/32"(Wall).

7) Can you include some pictures of your setup. I want to see where i'm gonna fit all this stuff in my little case. If you cant post pics no problem ... i'll look up some other posts as dissolved recomended.

Thanks for all the help!

Dissolved

1. 1/4" ID, so 3/8" tubing should work
2. yes
3. 10ft is a good mount, at least i would in case you mess something up. tubing is cheap. dont pay more then 75cents per foot, unless u get GREAT tubing.
4. yes, a basic rad/water block/res will do you fine
5. maybe, you'll need a new psu, condestsion pervenison, and it depeneds on what water block you pick. the Dangerden maze is pelt capable.
6. tubing sizes hmmm, in water cooling u only need to know the ID of the tubing. 3/8" and 1/2" is all ull use. most likely ull get 3/8" unless u get a better more costly block with 1/2" barbs

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
1. I was told that the Gemini high flow model (more expensive) uses 3/8" hose barbs.

2. Yes, thermal goo is required. (artic silver qualifies as goo)

3. 10' I'd get 15' though cause you never know when something changes in the plan.

4. Mobile setup would work best with a heatercore. Bongs can do it, but it's a hassle trying to get to the sink at a LAN. All the hoses can be a pain too.

5. No, a pelt isn't necessary. It's far better to wattercool first. A Gemini can be modded to accept one, though they do not have a factory colplate for a TEC yet.

6. 3/8" Inside Diameter, 5/8" Outside Diameter, 1/8" wall, part number 51135K37.

7. Pictures of my system wouldn't help you much, I have a Yeon Yang mini sever cube case that's 14" wide and divided like it were two cases in one ($200 w/psu). I got buckets of room--your case would vary too much from my setup. http://www.servercases.com/ImageFiles/SC0210.html
The black one.

mustangman

The high volume Gemini is $40 and the standard is $35 from case-mod.com as diggrr said the high volume uses 3/8" barbs. Look for the thread in here on the gemini blocks, there are two one is numerical modeling and the other is general, you want the general thread. Hoot has a post in there where he explains how he made a cold plate for a peltier and fitted it to the Gemini high flow; I think that post is on the second page. Have fun with it.

OP
R

Robbiem01

I cant find a 4x4x4 (or close to that size) plastic box at any home depot kind of sites nor can I find the eheim 1048 waterpump. Links would help a lot if anyone is bored and wants to look for those :)

Also, the gemini waterblock comes in two versions (240GPH+ and 240GPH or less) and the + is 5 bucks more. Which one should I get?

Anyone know of a site that should have ALL of this stuff? I dont wanna pay shipping to 5 diff stores.

I cant think of many other q's ... pretty much asked all there is to watercooling setup already.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP - YOU GUYS ARE GR8!

mustangman

Case-mod.com is supposed to be back up Monday from what I was told and I think they carry the Eheim pumps and also resevoirs. I talked to Peter today at Gemini and he told me that http://dtekcustoms.safeshopper.com/index.htm?273 is now selling the Gemini high flow and standard flow. Also check out https://www.overclockershideout.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=o&Category_Code=R1 this looks like a nice res with pump combo although I don't know what pump it is.
As for waterblocks I ordered the high flow directly from Gemini today. I was going to wait for the Maze3 and see how it performed it tests but decided I wanted something sooner and I really doubt that the Maze3 will perform any better than the Gemini high flow although I might be wrong!

OP
R

Robbiem01

sweeeet! In my shopping cart I have Gemini high flow spiral and the unpainted radiator with shroud. Now I just need a pump and reservoir. I would like one of those nice looking reservoirs like linked in previous post but its a little sketchy how they dont say what pump is in it ... just says 500GPH pump. I think I'm gonna get the ernmax 1048 pump but i'm not sure how big it is and where I could get a nice looking res. for it.

Anyone know where they sell either the ernmax 1048, a nice shinny reservoir or both?

Also, can someone give me a list of EVERY part used in their h2o system? I want to make sure I dont forget a clamp or washer or something stupid that will set me back a week.

Thanks in advance!

Spartacus51

How handy are you?

I ask because much of this can be done cheaper, without paying shipping, and also as good or better.

My setup:

Cross drilled waterblock (design on front page): (total - less than $10)
1 - 2"x3"x3/4" piece of copper
2 - 3/8 OD 1/4 ID brass barbs
3 - 1/8" pipe plugs (deceiving, actual diameter is closer to 3/8, just how they're labeled
Teflon tape

Hold Down: (less than $5)
1 - @ 2 1/2"x3 1/2"x3/16 plexi
4 - 3" #6 screws
4 - #2 springs
8 - nylon washers
8 - nylon shoulder washers
4 - wing nuts

Radiator: (less than $25)
$20 Bumper to Bumper Heater Core
2 - 3/8 OD 1/4 ID brass barbs

Res: (less than $10)
4x4x4 pvc junction box (electrical dept. home depot)
1 - 3/8 OD 1/4 ID brass barbs

Pump: (less than $16)
Submersible pump 300 GPH (petsmart $15)
1 - 3/8 OD 1/4 ID brass barbs

Misc: (less than $5)
2 - 90mm case fans
tagboard shroud
20' clear tubing (using less than 10')
5 - small hose clamps

TOTAL SYSTEM COST < $75

Full load 38C duron 850 @ 1003 (8.5 x 118) 1.70 Volts
(selling soon so no desire to go higher)