• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling parts mini review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

1) EKWB Supremacy EVO acetal/nickel CPU block -> works great, looks great. Max temps in benchmarks is 59c at 4400mhz (4790k)
2) EKWB SE240 radiator -> meh. Build quality isn't anything overly fantastic, although the aesthetics are nice. Cooling is admirable for its size though
3) EKWB EX-RES D5 pump combo -> nothing that needs to be said, A+
4) EKWB FC-1080/1070 (same thing) -> works fine, max temps in 100% at 2025mhz has been 43c ( gigabyte g1 gaming gtx 1070)
5) XSPC hardline fittings -> they work and dont leak, but something feels EXTREMELY "flimsy" about the tubing in there. I have the right size tubing and fittings, it's just not confidence inspiring at all. Cheap, but feel cheap. At least they dont leak which I guess is 90% of the battle eh?
6) primochill rigid PETG tubing -> easy to bend, no issues. Have stayed perfectly clear for many months.
7) Black Ice 360gtx -> cant speak for the rest of the line, but this GTX series radiator feels extremely good. Nice heft, consistent fin pitch, nice piece of kit. Combined with the SE240, has been keeping temps extremely stable. Highly recommend this radiator; not horribly expensive either.
8) Fluid XP+ -> works great, not sure what the hub bub was. Temps are super stable, there was no "gunk" "goop" "algae" "corrosion" or whatever noun used to describe the microorganism build up. Simply as a precaution I ran with some biocide any way. Went 4 months on first change, on month 3 now. No problems at all. I purchased it overstocked or whatever, so it was worth the 3$ or whatever I spent on it, but Im sure water would be fine too. Since I bought way too much, Ive had bottles sitting for a long time in my basement. The yellow bottle has some color separation, but a quick shake (it'll be pumped anyway...) and brought uniformity in the mixture again. The purple, blue and green remained uniformly dissolved in solution.

Nothing much to say otherwise, just reaffirming whats probably well known anyway.

I would recommend keeping the same hard tubing and fittings from the same brand. I've heard that hard tubing can become loose with mix matched brands. That could be why it feels "flimsy". Just saying to play it safe.

As for the colored fluids, I'd steer away and I'm sure you've read and seen the warnings on them. That's all up to you. I will say though, careful adding silver biocide to the loop because it won't dance well with the EK blocks, at least the GPU blocks. EK has warned about distilled and silver for some time now because it breaks down their nickle.

Overall, nice mini review on said gear. :salute: Some pictures of the rig would be nice.

Probably right on the fitting/tubing comment for sure. I'm currently redoing my office, so everything is in shambles right now; I'll post some pics later on for sure.

As for biocide, I just used some PT nuke, few drops; no biggy. Everythings been algae free!

Scary, the settling/separation of colors in a premix. Glad your experience didnt mirror others with dyes.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Back