• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, as a matter of fact age counts. When newer products with better performance are on the market then it's logical that if you got an outdated system it will underperform compared to newer systems or won't give you many score points in tests.

Anyway, your CPU is bottlenecking your system. Yea both GTX 1060 and RX 480 look good! You can wait untill GTX 1060 is out and you get the first benchmarks, compare that to the RX 480 and go for whatever you like most :)

I'm planning on getting Core i7-4820K £130 on ebay and probably pick up a motherboard for about the same. GTX 1060 will better for Direct X 11 gaming serial, AMD Direct X 12 parallel. GCN is continuation where as nVidia comes up with new architectures so never know after end of life how long you'll get driver side optimisations...

Oops! Missed that. Thx Kenrou.

Hard to tell how good they are in DX 12 in heavyily paralellized code vs sequential. I have 1 eye to the future...How long will it take for game engines to come out that utilise all the parallel computation features of DX12 and then game developers to think in parallel and optimise code for parallel execution? I have no illusion that AMD hardware is fast as nVidia. Have been a code monkey and realise software has to use the hardware in the optimum way. AMDs GCN hardware will give better performance as long as you the code is written to exploit it. nVidia works the old way and is better suited to DX 11...

Last edited:
Pulled trigger on a used Core i7-4820K £110 & Asus Rampage IV Formula X79 £229 on ebay. Question now is a now is cooler for these. start a thread in the air cooling section...

It's a Fractal Design Define R4 http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r4-black-pearl. I'm hoping I get a chip that can hit the 4.5Ghz sweet spot. The only other thing that concerns me are the memory dimm slots look a little close to the CPU socket http://rog.asus.com/motherboard/formula/rampage-iv-formula/?_ga=1.210386965.1221595131.1468442438 I was hoping to fill all four slots with http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ble4g3d1608de1tx0 The memory heat-sink fins could get in the away of the CPU heat-sink and fan. Define R4 has space for 240mm slimline radiator http://support.fractal-design.com/s...what-size-radiator-will-fit-in-the-top-panel- I'm kind of leaning towards the Corsair H100i with the fans swapped out to 120mm Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans or the EK-KIT S240?

If you want the best air cooler, NH-D15.
If you want an AIO, Swiftech or EK Predator.
If you want a custom kit, the EK ones are very nice.

Small problem Ebay shop has sold out of the Formula model motherboard and have offered a free upgrade to the Extreme version which is an E-ATX board. This mean I would have to get a new case to fit it in. I'm thinking with idea of going a EK beginners water-cooling kit may be a bit good fortune. Case wise what would you recommend? budget upto £150 if it's been out for a while or replaced by a newer model I may be able to buy used from Ebay...

Eatx fits the same holes on the cases and is just ~1 inch wider. It might cover some partial wire management holes but should be fine. Just look up the board and measure the case. I have the rampage 4 black edition and isn't much a problem.

Hi,

Back again, i have been told that if I want to run my system as I do underneath out of site out of mind. I should steer clear of custom water cooling as you need to be monitoring fluid levels. AS my case doesn't have windows and it's underneath my desk that is not possible. I've been pointed towards a Swiftech H220 X2 Prestige as plug and play no maintenance etc option. Just want to find out if that good advice?

Thanks
Haider

I would check it monthly perhaps... but its not something that needs to be looked at daily once you get the air bubbles out and things are properly filled.

Hi,

Back again, i have been told that if I want to run my system as I do underneath out of site out of mind. I should steer clear of custom water cooling as you need to be monitoring fluid levels. AS my case doesn't have windows and it's underneath my desk that is not possible. I've been pointed towards a Swiftech H220 X2 Prestige as plug and play no maintenance etc option. Just want to find out if that good advice?

Thanks
Haider

I have the lepa exllusion 240 AIO cooler that is refillable/expandable/drainable but also comes prefilled and you don't have to touch it if you don't want to. Ran a year and never dropped at all in the fluid levels. I'd say do what's comfortable then go from there. If you can find an AIO that you can DIY with that could be an option as well. But also, unfortunately like me, if you go AIO your pretty much out that expense if you decide to go a full custom loop like I have recently.

I have the lepa exllusion 240 AIO cooler that is refillable/expandable/drainable but also comes prefilled and you don't have to touch it if you don't want to. Ran a year and never dropped at all in the fluid levels. I'd say do what's comfortable then go from there. If you can find an AIO that you can DIY with that could be an option as well. But also, unfortunately like me, if you go AIO your pretty much out that expense if you decide to go a full custom loop like I have recently.

Thanks I'll take a look into the lepa exllusion 240...

Hi,

Thanks
Haider

I am running a H240x with 3x140mm worth of extra rads and an universal GPU block, and I am plenty happy with it: it just behaves the same as a custom loop!

You want to add your GPU in the loop? just get a 140mm extra rad and a block, 4 fittings and 50cm of tubing and you're done!

They really made a great product, and more than affordable!

Back