• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling vid card worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nealric

Just got my chaintech gf4ti4200- it overclocks decent (see sig). Since I already watercool my proc, would it make any sense to add a vid card wb? How much more could I get outta it? (I might be adding a water chiller soon if that changes anything)

TheFrag

if u have the money to do, do it. You can never be to cool. Also it may quiet dow ur system

OP
nealric

nealric

Hmm- its not really a question of the cash- it a question of efficient use of cash- there is ALWAYS something I can upgrade. a couple of considerations:
1. Voiding warranty- I got it today so it would suck to fry it
2. price/performance it may make sense do wait and just get a better card in 6mos rather that a year

FIZZ3

nealric said:
Hmm- its not really a question of the cash- it a question of efficient use of cash- there is ALWAYS something I can upgrade. a couple of considerations:
1. Voiding warranty- I got it today so it would suck to fry it
2. price/performance it may make sense do wait and just get a better card in 6mos rather that a year

1. If you're worried about warranty voiding you'd be better off with a Dell. (this is supposed to elicit a "NEVER!" response) =)

2. Price/performance of watercooling any particular component is poor. Watercooling is expensive and will result in modest gains at best. A new vidcard six months down will beat any watercooled setup.

Having said that, there are some further things to consider:

- if you're reasonable handy you can re-use a waterblock and continue cooling any card you buy in the future... thus increasing the watercooling's price/performance ratio considerably. And don't forget the extra cooling will mean you can be on top of each generation of cards by attaining higher overclocks than aircooled peeps (in most cases).

- watercooling the gpu means the HS/Fan unit goes off, this in turn means the ram also loses the benefit of moving air. In this sense, the watercooling may be ineffective as your gpu temp decreases while your ram temp rises.

- watercooling gpu as well as ram is the best way to go, but this trades off future usability of the setup, as it's layout is likely to be card-specific.

OP
nealric

nealric

Price/performance of watercooling any particular component is poor
Not with my xp1600. Im getting 1940 outta it. I spent 75$ more on wc than I would have whith air. If I had gotten a xp2200 (which my wc xp1600 smokes), I would have spent $100 more. $25 net gain:D I was hoping to see something similar with vid card- but the ram thing is a good point. Maybe I could use still use the stock fan and use it to blow air over the ram.

FIZZ3

nealric said:

Not with my xp1600. Im getting 1940 outta it. I spent 75$ more on wc than I would have whith air. If I had gotten a xp2200 (which my wc xp1600 smokes), I would have spent $100 more. $25 net gain:D I was hoping to see something similar with vid card- but the ram thing is a good point. Maybe I could use still use the stock fan and use it to blow air over the ram.

That's very nice. If you pick your watercooling components carefully you can get away with a relatively low price and still get great cooling too. I didn't mention it because one could say that homebrew setups don't count or so... considering you need tools and time etc.

The stock fan thing could be an idea. Or maybe a side-panel intake fan. =)