• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling with a Maxi-Jet 900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

surly

Registered
I was looking for a cheap alternative to eheim so I have chosen a Maxi-Jet 900 for a good $15.50, also reading through old posts it was recommended since it only uses 8w while the 1200 uses 20w.

However I know since it is a powerhead it must be modified and submerged. Unfortunately I have no knowledge of soldering and I don't know how to make a tank like THIS . And for the barbs should I use these Black Nylon Hose Barbs or these Poly Barbs . Also what should I use to attach them? marine goop? Thanks for your help

BabyEater

I have a maxi-jet 1200 great wee pump , cheap and quiet with good flow rates. My 1200 runs at 14W because it runs at 50Hz so there is les flow than the 20W American one.
They are very easy to make inline. i just took of the inlet housing put a bead of silicone on it then put it back on. Put a pipe on the inlet and epoxied a barb into the new pipe comming from the inlet . It's hard to explain but the main thing is hat they can be run inline and they don't get hot either doing this . maskedgeek has a 1200 aswell and he had pictures of his one running inline somewhere.

mfpmax

I didn't do anything to make mine inline...I stretched 1/2" tubing over the front inlet and that was it. The stock O-ring is doing fine.

OP
S

surly

Registered
But look at how big the outlet is, or is there a normal 1/2 barb under there?

BabyEater

That bit can come of and you are left with a 18mm 11/16" O.D. inlet .Those sizes are measured from the I.D. of the pipe which i put on which was a nice fit

OP
S

surly

Registered
So it is really that simple? I have also heard you have to modify it so it doesn't leak where water would normally come in to cool the motor if it were submerged.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
it wont leak,
maxijet.JPG

use jbweld, 1/2npt barb, and some sand paper or file(file down some of the threads)

OP
S

surly

Registered
So switching the inlet was necessary for you? Because if it isn't I would like to skip that.

mfpmax

there is no switching the inlet...its barely attached in fact...i'd be surprised if it stayed connected in a fish tank.

It won't leak unless the impeller nose is improperly mounted or put on that would modifiy the angle or something.

So you have two choices...

Add a barb such as shown, or stretch tubing over it.

predone2.jpg

OP
S

surly

Registered
Ok thanks for all the replies and help in this matter, I will post pictures of it when done.