• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wats comming out in the new future?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raven

Hey guys, was just wondering... im planning to get a new rig for chirstmas and was just wondering what new stuff might be out by then. Like ive heard that the 3.06 HT wil be out, is there anythign i should be aware of? for instance are there gona be andy good mobo's which can utilize HT to its fullest potential? what about Dual DDR and serial ATA? ive read some forums but do not have the exact dates about when all of this is comming out.

Can anyone give me any insight into the future please?

Raven

pacino

The devil’s advocate
no one knows about DDDR, as for Serial ATA & HT, ASUS released P4PE, which will support Hyper threading + serial ATA + Raid + LAN + Sound + 1394 port etc LOL! .. Yes, 3.06Ghz should be released by Nov 14th. This should be a nice combo along with some speedy 333Mhz+ DDR memory ..

FIZZ3

If you're not getting a Dual Channel DDR mobo I'd try RDRAM for the maximal ram throughput- that should be very nice with a HT enabled 3.06Ghz.

Doofie27

Disabled
the new penitum 5, of course, considering other than the first penitum, the p4 has been the longest running intel processer before the next step up. Look how long the pentium 2 lasted then the penitum 3. See what i mean?

OP
raven

raven

YA, I was wondering about the GB chipset. is it true it has a FSB of like 633? do you guys think that DualDDR and a GB chipset will be out by chistmas? and im just hoping prices wont be too too high.
Reason for not going RDRAM is because that i hear o/c'ing with DDR is much better. and i know cost is virtually no difference, but DualDDR sounds promissing.

so lets recap... . 3.06 HT, GB chipset DualDDR w/ serial ATA and HT compatibility. anything else which might be useful?

FIZZ3

Doofie27 said:
the new penitum 5, of course, considering other than the first penitum, the p4 has been the longest running intel processer before the next step up. Look how long the pentium 2 lasted then the penitum 3. See what i mean?

This is only a trivial matter. The more interesting thing is to consider the basic core architecture. And the you'd see that the 6th generation core underlying everything from Pentium Pro to Pentium 3 was the longest running core by far.

The Netburst core is just a rookie. =)

nodsetse

raven said:
YA, I was wondering about the GB chipset. is it true it has a FSB of like 633? do you guys think that DualDDR and a GB chipset will be out by chistmas? and im just hoping prices wont be too too high.
Reason for not going RDRAM is because that i hear o/c'ing with DDR is much better. and i know cost is virtually no difference, but DualDDR sounds promissing.

so lets recap... . 3.06 HT, GB chipset DualDDR w/ serial ATA and HT compatibility. anything else which might be useful?
Yes, it's my opinion that mobos with GB chipsets will be available before xmas. They'll still be 533 fsb at this point (of course they should OC beyond that), but with dual-channel DDR we'll get a massive increase in memory performance, without having to run the memory at DDR400 or higher speeds as we do now. Prices are somewhat difficult to guess, but I'd estimate they'll be in the same range of many other previous higher-end boards when first launched, I'd say in the US $150-190 range.

FIZZ3

nodsetse said:

Yes, it's my opinion that mobos with GB chipsets will be available before xmas. They'll still be 533 fsb at this point (of course they should OC beyond that), but with dual-channel DDR we'll get a massive increase in memory performance, without having to run the memory at DDR400 or higher speeds as we do now. Prices are somewhat difficult to guess, but I'd estimate they'll be in the same range of many other previous higher-end boards when first launched, I'd say in the US $150-190 range.

Dual channel DDR brings a massive increase in memory performance? Think again. 2x PC2100 brings 4.2Gb to the table... that is exactly as much as Rambus has been offering for some time now. Add to that the inferior controller setup and it looks like the best DC PC2100 will top below current PC1066/PC4200 systems.

DC DDR does bring good performance at a good pricepoint. But a massive increase in RAM bandwidth is only there if you compare to single channel DDR chipsets, which are quite weak to start with.