• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Way old Segate drive recovery?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

At work one of the CNC mills lost its hard drive. It has a Seagate model ST9420AG laptop HD. It is 420MB.

From the sound of it, and the fact that it doesn't even show up in the bios on another computer when booting, I'm hoping it is just the controller board that has gone.

We've found a couple of used drives of the same model. Looking at Seagate's site, it lists the cylinders and head and sectors for this drive. As long as they match on the replacements we are getting, I should be able to just swap the boards out, correct?

I realize if there are other problems it has, this won't solve them, but it looks like the best option at the moment.

Old Thrashbarg

Yeah, as long as the controller board comes from the same kind of drive, it should work.

However, before doing that, are you sure the fact that it's not showing up in BIOS is not simply due to it being an old type that doesn't support autodetection? Try setting the parameters manually, and see what happens...

OP
torin3

torin3

Yeah, as long as the controller board comes from the same kind of drive, it should work.

However, before doing that, are you sure the fact that it's not showing up in BIOS is not simply due to it being an old type that doesn't support autodetection? Try setting the parameters manually, and see what happens...

I didn't notice an option for me to manually set the parameters. I'm using a Foxconn Digitalife ELA motherboard in this system.

Old Thrashbarg

Hm, you may have to try it in an older system, then. I think most PIII systems still had such options, and certainly earlier ones did. You're probably going to need to set it up manually regardless of whether you replace the controller board.

I know in older Award BIOSes, there'd be a table under the 'Standard CMOS Setup' menu, and you'd set the type to 'User', 'Mode' to normal, and then enter the cylinder, head, sector and other numbers in the rest of the fields.

HDCHOPPER

Yes old Thrasbarg and IIRC you can go to HDD boot order in bios and force detection of a drive ...

OP
torin3

torin3

Just a follow-up here.

Before I could really get too far into it, they said the data on it was worth about $15K, so we sent it into a professional data recovery service.

Probably a good thing, as there was platter damage.