• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wb to thin?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liss

is there such thing as your waterblock being to thin?

(no?)

cause my block will only be like 1.something cm/// :(

would a think block increae temps? and alot or alitle?

-edit- might even be less then 1cm

Albigger

just don't make the base too thin, it'll start to bend.

are you still doing the design from the other thread? if so you should be fine.

1cm ~ .400 in. the bottom of my block will be about 3/8" thick, so that should be fine.

and I tend to think of more water in the block as a bad thing - water should get heat and get out, not stay in the block and stagnate... just my opinion on this though

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
most of my bases are around .07inches thick... i use a 1/4inch copper peice for the bases and tops of my blocks now:)

lebe0024

I made a swiftech style block that's HUGE. The base is 3/8" thick, and 3" long and 2.25" wide. It's got a big ole PVC cap on the top with barbs stick in it. It's all JBWELDed together, and I'm gonna fire it up in a few more days.

(side note on the JBWELD: I COULD NOT BREAK IT. I tried pulling it apart as best I could, and it was solid. I'm sure if I bang it on some concrete, I could eventually break it though )

juliendogg

i would think you'd do much better with a thinner base liss. looks like your w/b can handle some decent flow rates and the water should have no problem carrying the heat away from a thinner plate, just thick enough so that it won't bend would be sufficient imo.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
well thats hard, depends on the body... if the body is the block, then you want the thicker, if you have a body that coveres the entire block you want the thin stuff, itll bow if you do it incorectly

TonyMc

I use a .125"(3.18mm) on my new block opposed to the .1875"(4.76mm) I used on my first. I use a grid pattern on it though so the pins on the top piece match the pins on the bottom so there's no chance of it bending.

OP
Liss

Liss

that was base to thin.. this is actually waterblock to thin.. lol..
anyhoo.. i got my cu today.. was pretty expensive for just a bit of copper (compared to al)..
and my base is gonna be pretty strudy.. so nm about it being thin..