• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC beginner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dranseth

Registered
Alright, I'm thinking of converting to water cooling, and I have done a fair bit of research, however, I'm not too familiar with which products are the best for my rig. I'm wanting to cool my cpu and gpu's in x fire, along with my ram. Here are my specs:

cpu: i7 920
gpu: radeon 5870 xfire 5870
motherboard: msi x58m
ram: 12gb ocz

If you can suggest the best products for a full water cooling set up, I will most likely take it into consideration. Thanks.

Boulard83

:welcome:

+1, Read the OC tuto.

For :chair: "cheap" :chair: you can WC only the CPU and acheive good clocks.

For the best temp/silence/performance you can WC the CPU/GPU and maybe the entire mobo but it cost $$$.

OP
D

dranseth

Registered
welcome!

so to get right to it, ditch the ram cooling. the ram will not get near hot enough to warrant the costs or restriction to your loop.

do you want internal w/c or external?

do you want Performance, quiet, or both?

some guides in case you haven't read these ones.
http://overclockerstech.com/index.p...s&catid=40:overclocking-and-cooling&Itemid=88
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253958-29-watercooling-guide

I'm wanting to do internal w/c and it would be nice to have it perform very well while being quiet, obviously. Thanks for the links

OP
D

dranseth

Registered
I also have quite a nice budget so don't worry too much about money.

Spawn-Inc

with your current case it will be really hard to do a 100% internal build unless you heavily modify it.

you can get a double up top or even a triple if you move your dvd drive down 2 slots.
a 120mm sized rad in the bottom.
and if you don't mind a double 120mm hanging off the back outside.

ideally a thick triple 120mm up top pulling air into the case and a thick 120mm rad hanging off the back in 1 loop with the cpu and gpu's.

that will give you good cooling for everything stock and decent cooling for everything with light overclocks.

OP
D

dranseth

Registered
I can do some case modifications, but I would really prefer it to all be inside the case; not sure if that will be possible with this case.

OP
D

dranseth

Registered
Perhaps I don't need to do water cooling on the gpus because i doubt i will be doing lots of overclocking there. However, I will be overclocking the i7 for sure.

Spawn-Inc

i would consider 3.4 and lower light.

i would stick a thick triple up top which won't need to much work and run just cpu as you said.

also note that you can use the edit button and join all of those posts so your not double or triple posting. the edit button is in the bottom right of each of your posts.

Boulard83

The X58m isnt the best OCer out there but you can reach good speed.
If you OC, i recommand you to add a heatsink to the Vreg at the left of the CPU socket.
( or a Vreg block )
prod_339193b137a0b5d0403b1f66965dae7d.jpg

OP
D

dranseth

Registered
The X58m isnt the best OCer out there but you can reach good speed.
If you OC, i recommand you to add a heatsink to the Vreg at the left of the CPU socket.
( or a Vreg block )
prod_339193b137a0b5d0403b1f66965dae7d.jpg

Which motherboard would you recommend? I'm most likely going to need a new one anyways.

Also, spawn, what products and from where would you suggest?

Boulard83

If you stick with mATX the Rampage GENE is awesome.

If no, any of the standard ATX mobo OC in the 180-200 bclk with decent cooling. The stock heatsink on the Vrg helps alot but I7 pump lots of juice.

For the best OC you can go with "bigger" Deluxe/Extrem Mobo from eVGA/Asus/Gigabyte and others. Im a big Asus fan ... sry ;)

OP
D

dranseth

Registered
i would consider 3.4 and lower light.

i would stick a thick triple up top which won't need to much work and run just cpu as you said.

also note that you can use the edit button and join all of those posts so your not double or triple posting. the edit button is in the bottom right of each of your posts.

I totally found a system that really intrigues me. Here is the link:

http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/569118-project-haf-envy-water-cooled-haf.html

it's all now only a matter of finding all the parts

Spawn-Inc

he's using the following.

DD MC-TDX cpu block - old and other blocks are better. i would get a Switch Apogee XT or heat killer 3.0 over that block.
DD GTX285 rev 2 block.
EK-Multioption res.
Swiftech MCR220 up top
Swiftech MCR120 on the bottom
D5/MCP655 pump with ek xtop.
1/2in ID 3/4in OD green tubing (feser or primo LRT)
feser compression fittings.
and he used some nasty feser coolant, which is not needed and will likely gunk up after a while.

OP
D

dranseth

Registered
he's using the following.

DD MC-TDX cpu block - old and other blocks are better. i would get a Switch Apogee XT or heat killer 3.0 over that block.
DD GTX285 rev 2 block.
EK-Multioption res.
Swiftech MCR220 up top
Swiftech MCR120 on the bottom
D5/MCP655 pump with ek xtop.
1/2in ID 3/4in OD green tubing (feser or primo LRT)
feser compression fittings.
and he used some nasty feser coolant, which is not needed and will likely gunk up after a while.

Where would you suggest getting all the parts?

Conumdrum

At post 3 in this thread there is TONS of info from two links provided just for you!! The second one lists most of the top watercooling stores.

If you bypassed those I suggest you step back and start over for a few days and begin your journey.

OP
D

dranseth

Registered
At post 3 in this thread there is TONS of info from two links provided just for you!! The second one lists most of the top watercooling stores.

If you bypassed those I suggest you step back and start over for a few days and begin your journey.

Sorry, I just realized after my post that there were sites in the link he provided.

I think the issues I am going to have is watercooling my two 5870s in xfire

Alright, here is what I have picked out:

Watercool HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 for Socket 1156, cpu cooler
Swiftech MCR320-QP Quiet Power 3X120mm - Black for the top
Swiftech MCP655 12v DC Pump - with Speed Controller
EK Waterblocks EK-Multioption RES 400 rev.2
DD-5870 Water Block x 2
1/2" Acid Green UV DD-TFC Tubing
plus fittings

Now my question is, is that pump going to be enough for two gpu's and a cpu? Or do you think I will need to have a loop for the gpus and a loop for the cpu? I'm overclocking the cpu and ram, but not the graphics cards. However, the gpu runs at high temperature. Also, are those gpu fittings going to work when the cards are in cross fire? Just not sure if they will fit. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Conumdrum

You sir don't have enough rad to begin to keep the system cool with that CPU and even ONE of the GPUs you mention. Go back and read this in the links provided.

"2009/2010 Heat thoughts:
With the advent of the HOT i7 and bigger dual chip GPU's, it has changed. A 220 size MIN rad for an i7, you want big over clocks, better go 320 sized rad.
Expect a i7 at 4.1 to be putting out close to 250 watts. Using the radiator testing charts, a PA 120.3 with medium fans on high you’ll get a Delta T of 5C, very good. Some have suggested a GTX295 puts out about 250 watts of heat, possibly more like 280 under load. You try and put both of those on a 120x3 radiator the CPU will not over clock at all, it will be very very unhappy. You want to learn more about heat load and the all important measurement, Delta T, read up in the stickies I provided."

Look at Skinnees and martins link and look at the heatloads vs rads vs fans etc.