• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WCing... should I?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssj5

Registered
I currently have the below system setup. My temps aren't "that" bad, but I need to get in the 30s, would like to get below 30. I want to know if water cooling will acheive this for me. I have been lurking in many forums reading up on parts, and I was thinking of something like a maze 3, eheim 1250, and BIX. don't really know much beyond that, but if this setup wont get me much cooler, its not worth it to me. just wanted to get an opinion before I spend the money. Thanks in advance!

Enigma422

Well what is your ambient temperature like? WCing will never get you below ambient temp, but a very good WCing system can get you close to it. The parts you have are good, but if you want better performance then I would get a heatercore over a BIX. BIX is good, especially if you don't have a lot of space to put a rad in your case, but a heatercore will give you better performance.

OP
S

ssj5

Registered
well... my ambient temps in my case are 23-25C depending if my A/C is on. I will be putting all of the watercooling stuff in a seperate case, that will sit in a cabinet under my desk, that is to keep the sound down, besides the cabinet is for a case to go into anyway, but my chieftec wont fit in it. I plan on just running the neccessary tubing to my computer from the "WC" case to the PC on the desk. so... Size of the core, rad, pump, res, etc doesn't matter. Just performance and cost. Any suggestions?

lazyart

Does your motherboard have mounting holes around the socket? I didnt see any in the images online...

Enigma422

Well if you're going to run the water up to your computer from under your desk then definately get the Eheim 1250 pump, or maybe even the 1260 pump depending on how high the water has to climb to get to your waterblock and if you plan on cooling other stuff like your graphics card and northbridge.

If space doesn't matter then I would get one of those heatercores that can hold two fans, or four 120mm fans in a push pull config. (Don't know the exact model). If you have money to spend and want convience then you might consider getting one of the heatercores they sell at JPI Performance. If you want to save money then buy a similar one at an auto parts store and mod it yourself.

OP
S

ssj5

Registered
that is mainly why I want to do the watercooling setup, just to have a hobby and learn from it. I don't think I'll get major better temps though, but maybe I can hit 2500 off my 1700+ :) as far as the heatercore goes... I went to that site, I didn't see anything that said heatercore, and since I didn't know what to look for, I am lost... I have been looking through tons of different rads, but I have never looked for a heatercore, where are they? And I also didn't see any prices on that site.

therudyq3

well....

First of all, ou never should come to a water cool section of the forum and ask whether you should water cool :eek: :D :D :D :D hehehe

Moot!

ryuen

in the general cooling they would all say water cooling is overrated. it can be in a way, but its a hobby IMO.

Pits

Registered
Yeah it may be over rated but you can put all the colored fans and fancy grills on your heat sink you want, but it still won't be as sexy as pimped out water rig!
Not to mention the envy of all you geeky friends :D

FIZZ3

ssj5 said:
that is mainly why I want to do the watercooling setup, just to have a hobby and learn from it. I don't think I'll get major better temps though, but maybe I can hit 2500 off my 1700+ :) as far as the heatercore goes... I went to that site, I didn't see anything that said heatercore, and since I didn't know what to look for, I am lost... I have been looking through tons of different rads, but I have never looked for a heatercore, where are they? And I also didn't see any prices on that site.

A heatercore is used in cars to heat the passenger cabin, or in watercooling setups to act as a radiator and cool the water inside.

Apart from the heatercore, you may want to consider another waterblock too, I'd take a TC-4 (DTEK) over a maze-3. The pump should be fine (larger pumps become less and less efficient), but do watch out for lengthy tubing and large vertical distances.