• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD 160gb detects as 127gb in windows? why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skinart

I just installed a new WD 160gb hdd, but when im in windows, it saiz its 127gb??

Do i have a jumper setting rong or somthing?

What did i do rong?

Chad

9mmCensor

Disabled
Yamiyanazz said:
Yeah...but Isn't XP only at SP1?

YEah, they are still working on (testing now I should think) SP2 (the operative word - "will" - refereed to it as not yet as in not yet released)

Your sig is messed up dude.

CrashOveride

SP2 is in beta right now from what I hear.
And ya, this (the drive showing up smaller thing) is somthing that happens there is also probably some stuff about it on the manufacturer's website too (just FYI:D)

And Yamiyanazz,
Welcome To The Forums!:D
Feel Free to Introduce Yourself:D

And for your sig you need to use vb code...

\AMD 2500+ XP Barton @1992MHz/
\512MB PC2700/ \Radeon 9200 128MB non-se/ \Audigy2/
\160 Gig HDD/ \19" Monitor/ \48x24x48 CD-RW/ \16x DVD/

[ size=1][/ size]
[c olor=red][/ color]
http://www.com
etc...
No need for linebreaks, a space does that.

OP
S

skinart

installed it and still nuthing, still thinks its a 127gb

something must have messed up in the making of the partiotion maybe.

Whats a good (free) partition program?

Chad

CrashOveride

You might wanna look at it in the windows partition program (Right click on my computer -> Manage Then disk management and see if there is free space. IF there is (I think there will be) you can either format it as a seperate drive, reformat it or get a program like Partition magic (not free but you might be able to find somthing that is and will let you resize partitions I dunno) and resize it to take up the rest of the drive.

The extra space won't show up until you format it (and you may need to restart for whatever you installed to take effect as well, I dunno).

OP
S

skinart

This is what it is showing.

Screen%20Shot.JPG.gif

is that spare space you talking bout that 518mb?

I think im gunna have to get Partition Magic or somthing similiar..

Chad

OP
S

skinart

And here is the HDD, it saiz 160gb right on it, I hope they didnt miss lable it lol

dcp_5066.jpg.gif

Chad

Graphic67

Do you have the latest nForce2 chipset drivers. When I added a 160GB drive to my AT7-max2, I had to update both the ATAPI driver mentioned earlier AND the IDE driver for my motherboard (VIA in my case).

CrashOveride

Hrm... It should be showing more :p I dunno. I would read some docs on WD's site and maybe Abit's as well... maybe you are missing somthing. I have a 160Gb Maxtor IDE drive that I have on SATA via a converter - it worked fine.

OP
S

skinart

oh crap sorry fella's, it aint the rig in my sig whoops!

Its an A Open AX6BC, but I have updated to all the latest bios and drivers.

Maybe this board wont detect any mote then 127gb?

Its not directly on the mobo it uses an ATA66 controller pci card.

I think im gunna pput me head down and start doing some reading to find out whats up :)

Chad

CrashOveride

You might wanna look at the PCI card manufaturers website and BIOS updates for the board to see if there is a specifc one that is needed for this.

My guess is that the card doesn't support it or needs a firmware update...

Yamiyanazz

127 GB is a limit unless you have the service pack installed. Aslo check WD's site, because my Maxtor 160 gig had a download on the maxtor site to allow the other 33 GB. Good luck.

Graphic67

You need a ATA100 or ATA133 controller to use 48bit LBA. That is the mode required for drives over 137 billion or 128 giga bytes.

CrashOveride

Graphic67 said:
You need a ATA100 or ATA133 controller to use 48bit LBA. That is the mode required for drives over 137 billion or 128 giga bytes.

Thats right.. I forgot abou that! I thought it had to be ATA133, not 100 or 133... meh.

OP
S

skinart

YAHOO finally got it all working :)

I dont know what is was in the end, but i updated all bios's in ata card and mobo and also got the tool from WD's site and I got all 150gb now :)

I dont know why you never always get the full 160?

anyway im happy and thanx for all ya help guyz.

heres a few pics of it setup now (just moved into new house everything is kinda crazy only just had time to get stuff setup)

the 160 is in the movie server along with a few other hundred gb.

other pc is just internet server.

dcp_5102.jpg.gif

dcp_5103.jpg.gif

dcp_5105.jpg.gif

Chad

Yamiyanazz

Got a few HDD there? By the way, which is the movie server and which is the internet server? kinda lost...you didn't specify which is which

Graphic67

skinart said:
I dont know why you never always get the full 160?

Computer science definition of gigabyte is two to the thirtieth power (2^30) which equals 1,073,741,824 bytes. (sometimes referred to as a gibibyte -- combining GIga and BInary). Windows uses this definition.

Metric system and hard drive manufacturer definition of gigabyte is simply one billion bytes (1,000,000,000).

Back in the old days, the kilobyte was only about 2.5% larger than metric (not enough to worry about).

Then megabytes became more common and the difference was just under 5% (a few people were noticing the discrepencies).

Now with gigabytes and a 7.3% difference more people are noticing and some are even suing over the 'missing space' on their hard drives.

Just wait until we start talking about TERABYTE drives and the difference is 10% -- the world+dog will notice that if this is still going on then.