• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD 180 gb 7200 RPM 2mb cache $110

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cursor

Found this at techbargains.com

WD 180 gb 2mb cache 7200 PRM for $209.99+tax-$100 mir=CHEAP. ($110)

shipping is a penny. You can buy it in-store for $20 more.

I got one of these a while back--it's great! Mine came with a Promise IDE controller (less cpu utilization). However I DID have to reload XP to get the drive to work beyond 137 gb. Formatted NTFS capacity [of this 180 gb drive] is 167 GB.

linkage

edited for clarity

Last edited:

roYal

Are you saying you got your hard drive to format to 167 or the limit on NTFS is 167? NTFS can have partitions up to 30 exobytes which is like 10 billion GB. I know i'm way off on my numbers, but i know it's over 30 exobytes. which is some amount of billions of GB. I know the maximum FAT32 is terrabytes, i think 32 terrabytes, but WinXp limits the formatting of FAT32 to 32GB only within the OS but still can mount larger formatted sizes.

Also, very very good find on the drive. Thanks a lot!

OP
cursor

cursor

roYal said:
Are you saying you got your hard drive to format to 167 or the limit on NTFS is 167? NTFS can have partitions up to 30 exobytes which is like 10 billion GB. I know i'm way off on my numbers, but i know it's over 30 exobytes. which is some amount of billions of GB. I know the maximum FAT32 is terrabytes, i think 32 terrabytes, but WinXp limits the formatting of FAT32 to 32GB only within the OS but still can mount larger formatted sizes.

Also, very very good find on the drive. Thanks a lot!

edited the post for clarity. Nah--My WD 180 gb formats to 167, the limit on NTFS is something obscene--nothing we'll be knocking on for the next little while for sure, anyhow. Yeah, if you wanted to format FAT32 you'd have little partitions out the wazoo. My 80gb was bursting at the seams, so now I have it AND my 180gb thanks to a deal like this one.

BTW, when loading XP, you have to make a floppy of the Promise TX2 driver and load it. You get the message that says if you need to load a RAID card or SCSI driver to hit F6--you do it then.

I was pretty frustrated with the IDE card's functionality--it refused to let the new 180 gb drive format to its maximum capacity AND act as D:\ drive. Got it up and working once, but when I filled the sucker up, it crapped out--lost its boot sector?! And Ghost wouldn't work across the IDE bus using it either. It played nice when I made it C:\ though.

Maybe it has something to do with the BIOS on the card? I read somewhere that it's a Promise card, but it has a WD proprietary BIOS? My other drive is not a WD. Anyhow, watch out!

wandl

lol when I worked at BestBuy, the 200Gb's first came out..I remember a customer asked me "I have an EMachines e633, my 10 gig hard drive just died..this sounds like a good deal, will it work?"

hehe..lol..on a 175W power supply..hmm..

that e-machines would prolly die from having too much of a good thing

BTW e633 is a celly 633mhz

OP
cursor

cursor

I thought the same thing. Pretty funny actually--they say great minds think along parallel lines. ;)

But then I thought a new one costs $180+shipping. Would I rather pay that and NOT get anything back or pay a bit more and get $100 back?