• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD 1TB Blue Weird Noise, Chkdsk Came Back Fine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I booted up my PC this evening and I came across a rather unusual noise it sounds like a loud clicking sound but at first I thought it was 1 of the 180mm fans that is in my case and it was hitting something as it was spinning, but looking up at my monitor I got SMART disk failure to my WD 1TB HDD. I rebooted the PC and it wouldn't load up Windows even though it's on my Crucial 128GB SSD so I disconnected the WD's SATA cable and rebooted Windows booted up fine so since SATA is plug n play I reconnected the SATA cable to the WD and I got the same noise from it but the drive loaded up fine perfectly fine everything was there no read or write errors nothing, I even pushed it into the case even though it's locked in it's cradle tightly.

So to play it safe I ran Windows Disc Check it came back with no bad sectors and the drive loads up fine for caution to the wind I've backed up everything and moved my stuff to my other drives for safely if it goes it will only take my games with it which can be sorted as most are backed up anyway. I am baffled to know what it was as I've not really heard the noise before but if it happens again I'll record it, it sounds like maybe a head failure possibly.

Hi @AngelfireUk83!

First thing I would suggest you to do is to make a backup of your important information just in case. Then you can run an extended test with the manufacturers tool called Data Lifeguard Diagnostics as well and see what the results will be. This test in particular is tuned to try fixing automatically any errors it finds, so since you're already have your information backed up on a different location you can easily go with it instead of the quick test. Here's a link you can download the program from:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=bILDhf

Let me know how it went and upload screenshots if you want so I can take a look.

From my experience, the moment you start getting weird issues such as lock ups or folders not opening fast or pc boot up issues even though it's not the OS drive in question, it points to another drive in the system giving up. I would definitely grab all the files off that drive and then do as the others suggested but SMART is already giving you errors. RMA it after you run more more tests.

Well I ran the diagnostics tool from WD on extended test and it came back with too many bad sectors detected so its obviously on it's last legs I'll sort out an RMA for it and get it sent off, should I do a ZERO pass before I send it off.

One more question I got a 5 year warranty with the drive when I bought it does it still continue when I get another drive or does it only last for the initial drive I bought I can never get my head around warranties on HDD

Attachments

• WD Diag Starting.jpg
    WD Diag Starting.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 32
  • WD Results.jpg
    WD Results.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 30
It will be best to contact our support and RMA the drive back to us since there are so many bad sectors detected:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=97zG8s

If you want write zeroes on the drive before sending it back to us, but don't forget to make a backup before that. As for your question about the warranty, you can take a look at this KB article:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ZrdAv6

In short, once the defective HDD is received from us the original warranty will apply, and until that point it is 90 days.

Right so I've sorted out my RMA with WD and I'll be posting the hard drive tomorrow I'm just in the middle of creating back ups of my Steam & Origin games and moving them to another drive for now, for the WD I'm using active killdisk to zero it

Back