• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD 80GB 8MB SE, can it take 40MHz???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhobMX

Simple as the topic, i want to unlock my chip, get a pc3200 memory and my mobo handles !/5 dividre, so in order to reach 200MHz FSB i MUST run the pc bus at least at 40MHz. Ive heard comments about that sanything above 39MHz causes pci components to fail, but i have top quality stuff, im still worried about the hd. What do you think? is it worth it to dish $200 and play my chances?

What are you Crazy? That's a WD "Special Edition" 8MB Buffer 80GB 7200RPM hard drive. Swap it with the secondary rig drive it's only a Maxtor 23GB 5400RPM. If one has to die let it be that one.

Mr.DLucey said:
What are you Crazy? That's a WD "Special Edition" 8MB Buffer 80GB 7200RPM hard drive. Swap it with the secondary rig drive it's only a Maxtor 23GB 5400RPM. If one has to die let it be that one.

i assume that you mean 40MHz on PCI bus would kill a HD???? that sux, but please i need more opinions...

Hmm.. I don't have the special edition, but I have a WD 80gb 7200 2mb drive, and I've been running it for a while now with PCI ~40MHz.

-ben

nebben said:
Hmm.. I don't have the special edition, but I have a WD 80gb 7200 2mb drive, and I've been running it for a while now with PCI ~40MHz.

-ben

thnx for feedback man, as a fact, i think ive also ran this hd at 40MHz. When i was overclocking the comp i used 160MHz fsb, and the 1/5 divider wont kick un until i reach 166mhz. So it proves i booted at least once at 40MHz. I had no data corruption i can remember of.

Back