• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD Black SN750 less read speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BenchAndGames

Registered
Is this normal to have less read speed than it should be for my WD Black SN750 500GB ?

They say it can go up to 3470 MB/s , but I got 3143 MB/s

Just to make something clear, maybe this is the reason why but I want to confirm, Im using a PCI-E adapter M2 on Z87 Haswell system...it can be this the reason why I dont got have the speed what it should be ?

It would probably be helpful to know how you measured throughput.

FWIW I have a similar setup (NVME SSD in an adapter plugged into an ASRock Extreme4 Z87 motherboard) and IIRC the speed is similar to what I get when plugged directly into a motherboard slot.

One key phrase is "up to 3470 MB/s" There may be very specific tests and conditions required to achieve that number. The result you see seems not that far off from the "up to" number and I personally would not be concerned.

Tested with the latest version of CrystalDisk Benchmark, ATTO Benchmark also similar results.

I switched the PCI-E from 8x to 16x and same result, or should I install it on 4x ?

Tested with the latest version of CrystalDisk Benchmark, ATTO Benchmark also similar results.

I switched the PCI-E from 8x to 16x and same result, or should I install it on 4x ?

The adapter itself is only 4x so there is no advantage in switching it to a higher bandwidth PCI-e slot.

Ok so what should I do, return the SSD ? Is there any diference in-game loading from that 3470 to 3140 waht I got ?
The reason I bought it and install it on the Haswell Z87 chipset, is because Im waiting for upgrate all my PC to Intel 10 gen, (so just wanted to start buying parts) cuz looks like I will need to wait at least 3 months or more with all this coronavirus.

Personally, I think your are getting what you paid for and your expectations are not in line with reality. The drive is performing in the ballpark of what it should perform. The fact that you are adapting this drive to work on an old Z87 chipset probably has at least some performance penalty associated with it. Besides, you can't deny the fact that it is still way faster than an old spinner hard drive and that is the big picture.

Yeah thats why I asking for, cuz if the penalty is cuz im using old chipset its all ok, I will upgrate soon all the componets, so everythings fine. Anyway thanks for beeing active here and help

A lot depends on the benchmark which you are using. I mean you can get +/- 500MB/s depends on the benchmark. Older ATTO or CrystalDiskMark are usually showing the highest bandwidth. New ATTO is already showing ~200-300MB/s less because of different tests.
Another thing is that on older chipsets, the maximum speed is lower than expected. There are many variables, even RAM or cache speed is affecting SSD performance. Since there is no "hardware" controller with its own memory then additional caching etc. is going through the CPU/RAM.
I wouldn't worry about these results. Once you get a new rig then test it again and I bet that the results will be better.

Regarding games, sequential bandwidth doesn't matter at all. Most operations in system and on game files are random and this speed is never in the SSD specification. If you run something like CrystalDiskMark then Q1T1 4k read or higher queue read is what affects performance in games the most. Higher queues are helping more in databases but in general are good in every higher load. Just think about it as maximum bandwidth in the specs = single thread ... and in modern systems there is nothing that runs on a single thread.

Back