• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD nightmare

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freezermug

Well usually my experiences with WD have been all positive but recently its just been aweful.

Less then 4 months after I purchased my rapter drive the drive started failing. Western Digitals website indicated that often times alot of individuals think thier hard drives are bad but they are really not. So I did what they suggested and downloaded thier special hard drive tests just to be sure in high hopes it was user error. Unfortunatly it was not and the drive failed the tests.

So I get a RMA number from WD and send the drive in. I checked the RMA status and it says that the drive has been recieved. This is all well and good exept it has been on recieved status for a entire month now.

This entire experience has just been nothing but bad. I paid a premium for this drive when it was released despite its size thinking it was worth it because of its spindle speed/performance and the western digital name wich meant reliability for me at the time.

All and all its been nothing but a hassle and a massive expense. At the time of purchase I spent well over 200 dollars for the drive because it was just released. The same drive wich you can get at newegg for just over 100 dollars now. A drive wich Ive barely even gotton the chance to really use other then reinstallations and aggravation. Plus the additional cost of sending the drive back and not having a drive to the point where the drive is basically outdated by a superier drive of the same company.

Only god knows when ill get my replacement. Chances are when I recieve the replacement drive youll see it in the classifieds. Of course, it will be listed at 1/100 of what ive invested in it.

The thing is I wouldnt have minded very much about the cost and depreciation value if I actually had the chance to enjoy the drive during the time I had it. Basically I didnt. I spent the whole time troubleshooting loosing data, reinstalling, and now waiting on RMAs.

OP
F

Freezermug

Still no replacement. I emailed WD about it several weeks ago and they said they are experiencing a inventory shortage.

It has been 2 months now. Im not sure what im going to do about this. Obviously customer care isnt high on the priority list. Just getting more drives to retailers. After all they already got thier money from me.

Going to try and email them again soon. Doesnt seem much else I can do.

Aktunka

Something that doesn't help your situation is that you probably waited a bit of a long time before first contacting them to see what was going on. They usually have like a 10 day turn around for stuff like this, and if you didn't see it then that would be the best time to make the initial inquiries. However, in your case now, that is all water under the bridge. Since you are now at the 2 month mark I would not contact them again via email. I would find their customer service number (if you can't find it on the website then the vendor you bought it from should be able to give you one) and tell them that it has been two months and you want a resolution to this, and if they do not offer you one quickly, ask to speak to a manager and explain to them everything that has gone on and before you actually make the call, write down what your expectations are so that you can reference them while you are on the phone. You want a replacement drive and don't care if it is the same size but just want it now? make sure you tell them. You want your exact drive back? Tell them. As long as you are making reasonable requests they should be willing to try to find a speedy resolution for you. Good luck.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
Why I always do the advanced replacement thing.

At any rate, I would just tell them to give me my money, and I'll buy my own damn drive.

ZGOZZ

Freezermug said:
Well usually my experiences with WD have been all positive but recently its just been aweful.

Less then 4 months after I purchased my rapter drive the drive started failing. Western Digitals website indicated that often times alot of individuals think thier hard drives are bad but they are really not. So I did what they suggested and downloaded thier special hard drive tests just to be sure in high hopes it was user error. Unfortunatly it was not and the drive failed the tests.

So I get a RMA number from WD and send the drive in. I checked the RMA status and it says that the drive has been recieved. This is all well and good exept it has been on recieved status for a entire month now.

This entire experience has just been nothing but bad. I paid a premium for this drive when it was released despite its size thinking it was worth it because of its spindle speed/performance and the western digital name wich meant reliability for me at the time.

All and all its been nothing but a hassle and a massive expense. At the time of purchase I spent well over 200 dollars for the drive because it was just released. The same drive wich you can get at newegg for just over 100 dollars now. A drive wich Ive barely even gotton the chance to really use other then reinstallations and aggravation. Plus the additional cost of sending the drive back and not having a drive to the point where the drive is basically outdated by a superier drive of the same company.

Only god knows when ill get my replacement. Chances are when I recieve the replacement drive youll see it in the classifieds. Of course, it will be listed at 1/100 of what ive invested in it.

The thing is I wouldnt have minded very much about the cost and depreciation value if I actually had the chance to enjoy the drive during the time I had it. Basically I didnt. I spent the whole time troubleshooting loosing data, reinstalling, and now waiting on RMAs.
One thing did you register you drive or drives on WD website.
Why I ask is, they have a plan that you get you drive before you even ship it out. Yep you read this right. I had a drive go bad, not the raptor mind you. I had the option for them to send out the hard drive before I sent mine out. Have you called?
Have you placed any emails? I always get someone on the phone, and my RMAs have been done in a timely matter too.

OP
F

Freezermug

Re: Re: WD nightmare

ZGOZZ said:

One thing did you register you drive or drives on WD website.
Why I ask is, they have a plan that you get you drive before you even ship it out. Yep you read this right. I had a drive go bad, not the raptor mind you. I had the option for them to send out the hard drive before I sent mine out. Have you called?
Have you placed any emails? I always get someone on the phone, and my RMAs have been done in a timely matter too.

I did fill out all the information the RMA process asked for including the serial number on the drive and so forth. There is 2 different RMA processes. The one you are speaking of is the cross ship option. This was the first option I chose but it wouldnt let me complete the forms. I filled out every bit of information they asked for and then right before it finished it would say im sorry we need more information. More information? I filled out every single thing they asked. I went through this process a good 3 times and it puked on me every time. Eventually I just gave up and did the non cross ship option because I was frustrated and just wanted to get it over with.

They had the drive i sent them in thier warehouse on recieved status since the first week of november. Its not like they got it 2 weeks before christmas.Im a patient person but this is getting rediculious.