• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD TV question before I buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I'm sure this is not the best place to ask about non computer hardware, but I'm sure there are some people who have tried this amazing TV hardware.

Basically, I have a 2gb external HDD, and on it I have lots of videos that I keep, movies, etc. Most are divx which play on my dvd player, but of course I have to copy them on dvd.

Now, this thing will allow me to play anything on my external HDD on my 1080p screen, amazing.

But before I buy, I need to know its limitations. What can't it play? I need it to play all the older format, such as xvid/divx, but will it play x264/mkv files? mp4 files? I really need it to play high def computer files.

Any info is appreciated, and anything anyone knows about this thing will help, I just found out about it yesterday.

Here is the link: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=734

Looks pretty good but before you buy check out some others as there are ones around the same price that also have wifi and 10/100/1000 Lan capabilities too!

Really? I'm not sure what exactly I should search for! I came upon the WD by accident, I had no idea devices like that existed. Is there a name for them? Even better, perhaps some links to some competition? Wifi would be amazing, if by that you mean that instead of connecting a usb hdd, I could just connect to my home network and play anything from my computers? although I would still like the usb hdd connector to use my external drive (i suppose i could just connect it to my network and it would be the same).

If you get the WDTV Live, you can get it as a networked one. The Asus O!Play has a wireless version out now, but the WDTV Live can take USB network adapters for wireless N, depending on what model it would work well, there's a couple of em out there, I'll look into what ones do it and try and post back tomorrow.

Back