• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD vs. Maxtor performance - wrong benchmarking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wquiles

I am finishing my AMD dually and I ran ATTO on two of my new drives:

- WD 80GB, 7200, 8MB
http://m3coupe.com/computer/WD80GB.jpg
url]

- Maxtor 60GB, 7200, 8MB
http://m3coupe.com/computer/Maxtor.jpg
url]

The Maxtor is the master and the WD is the slave (same cable) and this is on IDE1 on my K7D motherboard (limited to ATA100).

I guess I was expecting these two brand new drives to be very close to each other given their similar specs. Can I be simply running the benchmark wrong? Any suggestions?

William

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
They very probably actually are running about the same performance level. Your primary drive will have the OS and other software running on it. This will reduce the performance in the benchmarking sofware, since ATTO is not a true synthetic benchmark. I wouldn't worry about the results at all. If you want to get closer, try disabling all unnecessary services and programs and rerunning the benchmark.

shadowdr

If your Mavtor is ata 133,I would say it will be faster because neither of these drives alone will sturate the bus.

OP
W

wquiles

The Maxtor is ata133 while the WD is ata100. I ran these tests while no other apps where running. The Maxtor has the OS and Programs while the WD just has the data. I ran the test right after doing a defrag so I was really expecting both drives to be about equal.

Would the 133 vs. 100 be the main reason the Maxtor was quicker?

simpleman

if you have the WD on the same cable it would slow the maxtor down to 100 ata.
i think maxtors are just better drives
i've had really bad luck with WD this year. i had 3 clunk out on me with in the first month.

KILLorBE

simpleman said:
if you have the WD on the same cable it would slow the maxtor down to 100 ata.
His MOBO supports ATA100 max. so that can't be the reason, and even if his MOBO did support ATA133 it still wouldn't make sense as most (if not all) 'modern' (since 2001 orso) MOBO's support independant device timing, meaning that your drives will work at full speed even if you have an ATA33 drive on the same cable as your ATA100/133 drive, the only exception is if you use a drive that works in PIO mode.

To get the best results you should use a third drive and format the drives that you're benching, as data transfers from the outer tracks are always faster.

Also the WD uses 40GB platters, while the Maxtor uses either 60, 68 or 80GB platters (If it's a DiamondMax Plus 9), larger platters usually means higher transfer rates (esp. on the outer tracks) as the density is much higher.

If a drive is full with data the test will be run from the inner tracks, thus it will be alot slower.

Hope that made sense.

RoadWarrior

Hmm I just ran some benchies on my 80G WD with 8mb cache, I was getting 60-70MB sustained transfers, so I wonder if there's some problem there. It wasn't the same benchmark, but had a large test file so should have been failry accurate.

OP
W

wquiles

RoadWarrior,

Can you please let me know what benchmark you were running so that I can try doing it the same way on my drives?

Thanks in advance!

William