• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WDS Multicast Issue...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabber359

Right, I've been working with WDS as part of Windows Server 2008 for some time now, but a certain multicast issue has stumped me.
Here's the setup:

Test Server A:
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise x64
-AD DS, DNS, WDS + VMWare Workstation (for clients to test deployment)

Test Server B
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
-AD DS, DNS, DHCP

Switch: Cisco Catalyst 2950

**LIVE** area

Server A
Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x32 (upgraded to SP2)
-AD DS, DNS, WDS

Server B
Windows Server 2003 R2
-DHCP

Server C
Windows Server 2003 R2
-DNS

Switch: Cisco Catalyst 2950

Multicasting works partially on the live network. I can create a multicast transmission, select the appropriate OS and bob's your uncle. The client then boots up, loads Win PE etc, I choose the OS that's designated for the MC.........and it just sits there at the "initiating a connection with the server' screen (screenshot1). Also note that the client appears in the mc transmission that I set up on the server (screenshot 2). It just sits there waiting, doesn't do anything.

What gets me is that on my test servers it works. There are two notable differences. One, the DHCP server is 2003 Enterprise wheras on live ít's R2 and two, I'm running 2008 R2 x64.

BUT

The DHCP on 2003 should be irrelevant past the intital network boot stage, because I've set multicasting to use a manual ip range (mc doesn't work when I set it to 'Obtain IP from DHCP' anyhow) and I've just tested a Windows Server 2008 x64 with WDS (no updates) deploying to a VMWare Client on my test server successfully so as to make sure it wasn't a difference between 2008 and the R2 variant..

Both switches are set pretty much the same, IGMP enabled on both and all that. I'm by no means a pro when it comes to networks in this regard, but it *should* be working, yet it's not (and no, I am not responsible for setting up the live server area, I do plan to recommend to uh, give it a good kick up the arse soon though).

So, anyone have any idea's on what's causing my clients to just sit there waiting to initialise with the server ?

*note: standard wds deployment works fine

OP
Gabber359

Gabber359

Right, had another crack at this today.

Apparantly multicasting only works when I run the VM client on the WDS server itself. Running from another pc will not work; you will still get what you see in screenshot 1.

I've tried going through numerous properties in DHCP, DNS, WDS etc to no avail. I've also replaced the Cisco switch with an unmanaged Linksys one to see if that had any affect, but it did not.

Anyone have any idea's ?