• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weak NF7-S?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

topslop1

I have tested my 2600+ Mobile and I've gotten the highest of 2.53ghz on 220x11.5 on a DFI Infinity setup and it was prime stable. Now I'm on an ABIT NF7-S and I can't seem to get the same chip up and over the 180 front side bus barrier. Even when giving full northbridge voltage and running something like 190x9 I can't get this thing to go stable. Is this a weaker or crappier NF7-S that I just got unlucky with or are there a few more things that I could try to get it up there. I would be happy with 200 - 210 right now.

Zeke968

I have an NF7 rev 2.0 in my media/backup rig and when testing with the same cpu and ram in my sig and the fsb won't go over 200.....

@md0Cer

Well, first off, if this is relating to the motherboard, you would probably get more expert advice in the AMD Abit motherboards forum. But it is ok, no biggie :D We all misplace a thread every now and then.

I have heard from many people with earlier NF7's that they got more stability out of the northbridge on the default voltage. I do not know how true this is, or if it has changed with newer motherboards, but it would not hurt to try.

Another thing, is your ram voltage, did you have the VDIMM up higher on the DFI Infinity to get 220 FSB? What about ram timings? Did you have more relaxed timings when using the DFI?

Also, I know the Abit NF7 has PCI and AGP locks, make sure those are active and your PCI/AGP bus are at 33MHz for the PCI and 66MHz for the AGP.

Good Luck!
-0cer

@md0Cer

Wow I am a slow typer...already 2 posts in haha.

I guess the quality of the NF7's have gone downhill lately? I remember when they were an AMD overclockers nirvana.

Tekko

some get better results with chipset voltage of 1.5-1.6. Also the newer board with the colored slots are worst then the "original" one. Also str starting your OC from the chip rated speed and going up slowly, it's a pain but sometimes you get better results. Add the L12 wire mod. Having all the specs of your rig would help find if something else is holding you back.

Docta_Z

I've taken my NF7-S to 230 fsb stable... try different bioses...

Have you changed anything else besides the mobo? power supply? more drives?

OP
T

topslop1

This is the newer version with the colored ram sockets yes. I was just wondering why it would not do 200fsb because I thought it was supported for that. What bios do you reccomend that I try? I will put my northbridge voltage to 1.5v but it is currently at 1.6v that I can not get the Oc with. I had the vdimm and the timings the same on both boards actually. I will go check and see that pci/agp is locked.

Docta_Z

topslop1 said:
This is the newer version with the colored ram sockets yes. I was just wondering why it would not do 200fsb because I thought it was supported for that. What bios do you reccomend that I try? I will put my northbridge voltage to 1.5v but it is currently at 1.6v that I can not get the Oc with. I had the vdimm and the timings the same on both boards actually. I will go check and see that pci/agp is locked.

Please answer my questions above.

I would use a trats D24 bios - make sure you get a cpc disabled bios.

Yeah try NB volt to 1.6, but you should apply some AS5 to the NB heatsink.

Vdimm/timings could be part of the problem. Although the numbers may be the same, performance might not be the exact same on two different boards.

PCI/AGP is most certainly locked.

ap673

I've got the same problem, max 210 with cpc enabled, and max 220 with cpc disabled, and I have great parts...or so it seems. Here check this out, especially if ur a bios guy
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=314854

By the way I have a 2 week old NF7-S with colored slots like yours. With xp2600-m and OCZ PC3200EB, 240+ shouldnt be a problem, maybe this mobo is holding me back.

100mbHD

the NEW NEW NF7-S's are GREAT! there was a really long post about the history of NF7-S's but i forgot what it was. They started off great...but somewhere in betwen they were horrible. But if you get the new ones, colored slots, metal cpu lever, etc. You should be able to go into the 240's. i havent begun ocing mine, but from the beginning, i did 210x10.5 (2205) @ stock voltage. Also, ram plays a very important role, check my sig for my hardware. DONT forget the L12 mod. after performing the mod, go into bios and *Load optimized settings* speed should now default to 10*166(1666) hope that helped.

NF7%20166fsb.gif
nf7fsbwire.gif

ap673

Ya since you have 2x256, you should fly in the 240's and over, especially with those hynix chips...But if you have 2x512 like me, max out around 210-215. Guess I hafta go to P4 or A64 to get the full potential of these PC3200EB's