• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Webcam that you can pan/tilt/zoom remotely?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squale

I use Webcams to provide security for my home. I currently have a few webcams that I run on a live Webcam server that will show me live images of different parts of my home. The software also allows for me to set the motion detection and if motion is detected, I will be emailed an alert right away and the webcam will record the motion. But right now I am faced with a problem.. the problem is that I need LOTS of webcams to cover a whole big room, or even better yet, to cover the outside around my whole house. So what can I do? I need to get a webcam that I can remotely pan/tilt/zoom through the internet. This way, maybe I can take a webcam, mount it on my roof, then remotely I can pan around my whole yard, I can tilt up to the sky and back down to my roof, and lastely, I can zoom in and out to see closeups of certain things around my house.

So given all of these requirements, I need to find a camera that has EXCELLENT image quality, EXCELLENT range of motion in all directions, can be controlled remotely through software, and although not a requirment, a big plus would be for the webcam to be waterproof or weather proof from the cold and hot seasons so that I can mount it outside. It doesn't have to be wireless because I don't want to have to go through batteries constantly.

So given all of the above, can somebody recommend to me what sort of webcam I am looking for? I checked out the X10 site and they seem to have some pretty neat stuff. In particular this looksl ike it might be what I want, but I don't know how this compares to others out there: http://www.x10.com/products/vanguard_sg1.htm

Any info and recommendations are very much appreciated. Thanks

Dweezil

Registered
My recommendation would be to move to a safer neighborhood.

Actually, what you're doing is pretty cool. I want to do something similar on a much smaller scale. I want to install a cam in my house so I can keep tabs on my dog when I'm at work. I haven't even started looking into this yet...I'm assuming it's not too difficult.

Last edited:

Supchaka

Its out there... Its been a couple years since I was researching it but there is/was a company that had cameras you could control through an active X applet through the web. They were very expensive however, requiring servo motors etc to move the cameras around n such.

rabidchicken

most likely youre not goin to find a "webcam" that will be able to do this... id start by looking at home security pages and such for cameras built for this kind of thing

Supchaka

I wish I could remember that place that had ones I was looking at, they actually had the cameras throughout their offices and you could control them! I was zooming in on some dudes coke can from far away... they could obviously see what people were doing though, because he picked up the can and started modelling it like it was for sale on QVC. It was hilarious.