• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird Flash Drive Problem - Please Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jacksonwalters

I downloaded a beta version of Chrome OS from here and a tool to extract it to my USB stick from here. Not only did Chrome OS not work, but now my flash drive is acting like a 256Mb instead of 8Gb. It is not an issue of formatting, as I have tried reformatting it several times. I have no idea why the capacity is so low, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Where did you get that memory stick? Some eBay sellers oversea have a tendacy to sell counterfeit memory sticks that are labeled as higher capacity but will fail and/or reformat to lower capacity only.

J-O_S-H

Where did you get that memory stick? Some eBay sellers oversea have a tendacy to sell counterfeit memory sticks that are labeled as higher capacity but will fail and/or reformat to lower capacity only.

+1 to that... I bought a Memory Stick off there once... it had its correct capacity but it was so slow I couldnt bear to use it... Hi Speed... yeah right

OP
J

jacksonwalters

Word, I hear where y'all are coming from but this is a PNY stick I got at Worst Buy that's been working correctly for about a year.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
See if you can google to find the HP USB Formatting Tool for USB sticks.
It runs and looks much like windows format, but is made for USB sticks (yes I use it on my PNY 8Gig).
You can also choose NTFS/Fat for it too.

Not saying that that will save your stick, but a true format for it just might be the best shot you've got right now.

*Oh, and look closely at WinExplorer to make sure it didn't get partitioned for some weird reason...a very outside chance of that happening, but it's a thought.

Last edited: