• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird Flash Drive Problem - Please Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jacksonwalters

I downloaded a beta version of Chrome OS from here and a tool to extract it to my USB stick from here. Not only did Chrome OS not work, but now my flash drive is acting like a 256Mb instead of 8Gb. It is not an issue of formatting, as I have tried reformatting it several times. I have no idea why the capacity is so low, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Where did you get that memory stick? Some eBay sellers oversea have a tendacy to sell counterfeit memory sticks that are labeled as higher capacity but will fail and/or reformat to lower capacity only.

Where did you get that memory stick? Some eBay sellers oversea have a tendacy to sell counterfeit memory sticks that are labeled as higher capacity but will fail and/or reformat to lower capacity only.

+1 to that... I bought a Memory Stick off there once... it had its correct capacity but it was so slow I couldnt bear to use it... Hi Speed... yeah right

Word, I hear where y'all are coming from but this is a PNY stick I got at Worst Buy that's been working correctly for about a year.

See if you can google to find the HP USB Formatting Tool for USB sticks.
It runs and looks much like windows format, but is made for USB sticks (yes I use it on my PNY 8Gig).
You can also choose NTFS/Fat for it too.

Not saying that that will save your stick, but a true format for it just might be the best shot you've got right now.

*Oh, and look closely at WinExplorer to make sure it didn't get partitioned for some weird reason...a very outside chance of that happening, but it's a thought.

Last edited:
Back