• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird Font / Text when using 144hz BenQ XL2730Z

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

For some weird reason, it happened out of no where. I've been using this BenQ XL2730Z monitor for almost 3 Years now. All sudden today, whether in some sites like Facebook, or my Desktop, Windows Browser in general. My Fonts / Texts become a weird dark bold color. It became really hard to read, the Fonts / Texts seems blurry...

Funny thing is what I found out is that if I switch it to 1440p @ 60hz, the Fonts / Texts become normal like before. But my screen will flicker and flash like mad.
So I try lowering to to 1080p at 144hz it becomes normal, If I use 60hz @ 1080p it will flicker and flashes like mad as well. But my monitor is a 1440p...not a 1080p.

Another weird thing is, my monitor never flicker / flashes like mad if I were to set it at 60hz before. I don't know why is it happening now.
So I tried a few solutions, I've updated my GPU Driver ( 18.9.2 ) no go, still same issue. I've tried factory reset for my monitor same, I've tried all the solutions that I've Google regarding font issue with Windows 10, still no fix....

Worst of all, if I were to take Screenshot of both pictures, it will come out the same...there's no way to take a screenshot and post it here for comparisons.....
My phone camera doesn't pick up the differences well either....

Do you guys think my monitor is crapping out on me or something ???
Another thing I notice is, that it seems to be only affecting Black colored Texts / Fonts....least far I can tell....when reading Facebook, anything of the Texts / Fonts if are Blue / Grey they seem normal.

OP
Gh0sT-NoVa

Gh0sT-NoVa

Ok I wanna update, after turning off the PC and went for dinner and I came back. Now my monitor has gotten worst. The Text / Font isn't blurry anymore, but now my monitor is constantly flickering / flashing......and sometimes the text / font will become blurry for a second like before and back to normal, it's like it's caused by the flashing or flickering.

Ok this time I tried changing it to 60hz @ 1440p, my monitor doesn't flash / flicker like mad or even have weird blurry text / font.
But this is a 144hz monitor no way I'm using 60hz.....

While I'm writing this post, all sudden the flicker and flashing seems to have stopped all sudden, same goes for the weird blurry text / font.
It's like as if it's warm up enough now and become normal ??? I do recall all this started happening during a cold boot this morning....

I've taken a video with my smartphone it's not very clear and obvious sadly...I've uploaded to YouTube, this is what's happening.
And this video is taken on ANOTHER PC, I wanted to try on other PC to see if the problem persist and it seems like it does....( when cold that is , since now I've warm up the monitor and using back my original PC to write this comment I think if I swap it back to my other PC it will still be normal )

Here are the links to the video I've uploaded to YouTube. Do you guys think it's the monitor faulty ??

Part 1

Part 2

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

EDIT : Spoke too soon, another update. Seems like even now the monitor is warm up, it will still randomly flicker / flashes....but not as severe as before, it's not constant....it's just random few seconds....here and there and it stops and it seems like excessive fast mouse movement will cause it happen for a few second as well....

Do you guys think my monitor is officially dead ?? It seems like it. I've tried everything I can think of, even replacing another cable. If it's my PC, my second PC I've tested on shouldn't be flashing / flickering as well. I've even tested on my father's PC earlier this afternoon, and it was only at 60hz if not mistaken, I was using HDMI connection, I forgot to check the refresh rate and it too flickers / flashes....but it's at 1440p as well.

habbajabba

The last time I had a monitor go bad it was the power supply convertor block inside of an NEC crt display. Too much on/off caused it to desolder or something. I'd recheck all your mobo components are seated properly. Blow out the dust as it were. Do a memcheck, hd stats etc.. If you don't have one invest in a large UPS. Other than that it may well be the monitor and it can probably be fixed.