• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED weird overclocking problem after ssd install/bios update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

retrogreq

I did a clean install of win7 to my new SSD. While installing the drivers, I noticed there was a new BIOS available (F8). I was still using F6, so I reflashed to F8. When I tried to plug back in my settings for my 4ghz overclock (200x20, 2:8 on the ram, 1.396v in the bios for 1.360v in windows, 1.29 VTT), and prime fails after a few seconds on 2 of the cores, and the other 2 fail after about a minute. That isn’t the strangest part though. Before the BIOS update, when running p95, 70-75c was reached on my 3rd core within 20 seconds, with the other 3 about 3 or 4 degrees behind. However, with the F8 BIOS, it never broke 52c. I went back into the BIOS and set the vcore to 1.425v and the vtt to 1.3v. Prime will run a small FTT test for about 5 minutes before giving a rounding error on the 4th core. The temperatures still don’t break 65c though. A blend test gives an error after about a minute. This CPU was previously stable at 4ghz at only 1.360v and was able to run prime95 for 24 hours without error. The only changes have been the SSD, new operating system install, and the BIOS update.
Did the new bios lose where the “0.00v” setting is on the vcore (hard to explain what i mean...think “tare” on a digital scale), and when I am putting in a vcore, it is actually putting in a number well below what I input? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Last edited:
Blend crapping out early indicates a possible RAM problem. Perhaps reseat the RAM or try with just one stick. Swap sticks if the first one continues to die early. Running MEMTEST as well can sometimes show errors, though MEMTEST isn't 100% reliable showing memory errors.

The temperature reading differences are just the BIOS attempting to be more accurate. Unfortunately, you can't rely on BIOS temperature readings for much because they can easily be off by several degrees.

You can use SPEEDFAN to check the CPU voltage and be sure its around where you are setting it.

Orion, all temperature readings are from realtemp. I ran memtest86 for an hour with no memory errors, and tried a second pair of the exact same ram from my brothers computer....same exact results...I got it stable at "1.46v" in the bios...but it only hits 72c while under load for 30 minutes.....which is absurd for 1.46v on a coolermaster hyper 212. Either my sensors aren't working, the bios isnt setting the voltage properly, or something else is going on : /

Last edited:
Sometimes it might not work properly as you directly plug back 20x200 setting after a new bios update. Try from 170x20 with 10bclk increament and work your way back to 200x20

Though, I would try with 1.35 VTT first to see how it goes. (IMO, your vtt is a bit low.)

I flashed the BIOS back to F6..then flashed to F7, then F8, and it seems to have solved the problem. The voltage readings are back to normal, and I was able to run prime overnight at 1.3v and 1.29vtt.....something weird must have happened when i flashed the BIOS. Ah well, all is good now.

As you found out always use either Q-Flash from within the BIOS, or the DOS-based flash utility to flash, and never flash the BIOS from within the GUI.

Maybe its just me but I never trust saved settings after a BIOS flash. Ill write down the voltages/etc, flash, load optimized defaults and then proceed to manually set everything back the way it was.

Bakkoda...when you flash a new bios, it erases all your saved settings. Your only option is to write them down and put them back in :p

Bakkoda...when you flash a new bios, it erases all your saved settings. Your only option is to write them down and put them back in :p
What I should have said was I never trust the settings that are in place after a BIOS flash. I always hit reload optimized, reboot and then go about tweaking ;)

Back