• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weird problem while switching cases

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sly5

Registered
I just bought a new Chieftec mid-tower and a Fortron 350w Aurora power supply and received them last night from Newegg. I quickly got to work swapping my mobo (NF7) and all peripherals into the new case. When I fired 'er up, I encountered a STRANGE problem.

The system began to "find new hardware".. my dvd-rom, dvd burner, cd-rw, hard drives.....everything. I think this happened because I did not put things back into the same IDEs or PCI slots.

Problem was that the system (XP) did not detect drivers for my 2 WD 80gig drives. Then the system began to randomly reboot.

I tried letting it search for drivers but no luck...did notice however, that i could access any and all files on either drive and they did appear in Explorer.

Thought I would fix this with a reinstall of XP. Did that late last night and upon completion all looked ok, except that it would not let me establish a DSL connection - but that's a different story(see Microsoft support article 329441).

Any thoughts on why a simple case swap would cause so much commotion?

FireMogle

It did that because you didnt put everything in the exact same place and if forgot where some of the drivers were. Its happened to me before.

Z_oc

Did you connect the ATA 100 cables in the right way? Like blue goes to motherboard, black to master disk, grey to slave disk.

I once made mixed 'em up and my Windows got corrupted or sometimes it said that I got bad sectors. Learnt from my error the hard way. It bacame Ok once connected properly.

xanderjobizzle

I just switched cases too. FireMogle what ur saying is that b/c i didn't put the sound card in the right place i should put it back and i will have sound again?

-Xander

FireMogle

AFAIK when you move devices(IDE, PCI, AGP....) windows will disassociate the drivers and the device that they are for, so it will think you have uninstalled one and installed another when you have just moved it. So windows is just not loading the drivers you gave it when you installed it, if you point windows to the correct drivers or re-install them it should work again. Other problem being you have a funky PCI slot. Now with moving it back I do not think that will work if I remember correctly.

perinator

Registered
I had the same problem when i upgraded cases.

Like the others say, you put cables on wrong.

If I were you, I would start with one device at a time. restart windows and go from there for each one. When windoze trys to install drivers for a device, cancel the install for the rest and move your cables and reboot. soon you will find the right places and will be back to normal.