• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weird problem with cat 3.10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bythegods

Registered
hey all,
i just got a very weird problem (at least to me).
here's the story. i overclocked my cpu to 215x11=2370 mhz and the video card is on default speed (hercules 9800pro). it ran prime 95(~30 hours), sandra(~2hours) , memtest(5 hours) with no errors. and its also run 3dmark2001 for 3 looping (never tried more).

but when i play a 3d games (i play age of mythology, tomb raider: aod, gta: vice city. after at least 30 mins of playing it will crashed to desktop or i got a bsod. after the bsod, after i rebooted my system windows told me that its just recovered from an unexpected error which probably caused by my radeon 9800pro driver.

so i tried lowering mys fsb down to 205 ( cause thats the only thing i've changed for the past 1 week) but still the same. but on 200 fsb, i didnt crashed in games anymore.

so yesterday, i was curious and tried omega 3.7 (btw i was running 3.10 from ati and omega the whole time) and no errors on 205 fsb. then i tried to run it on 215 fsb, and no crashed at all.
then i tried 3.9 (both ati and omega) and it crashed.

this is really weird for me cause the only thing i overclocked was my cpu (vcore,vdimm). any of you guys have the same experience?? i'm about to try increasing my fsb again :p i hope i'll get to 230 without mods :p

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Do you have "fast wrights" on? If you do turn it off. I ahd it on and it was crashing my rig when i played COD. I could play for a whlie but when I got to a cut sceen it crash my rig. I turned it off and I could play non stop for hours.

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
I used the Omega 3.9's for quite awhile ; no crashing in games , etc but I did get some wired rendering problems now again in 2-D apps . I just swithed to the factory ATI 3.10's yesterday and was pleasently surprised by much better 2-D/ 3-D colors and no 2-D rendering problems . I too can overclock my BBA 9800P alittle higher with no artifacts with the factory 3.10's .

One thing you must do when when swithing ATI drivers is to make sure you DELETE the leftover folder factory ATI drivers leave in the system . The folder will be named ATI , and reside in the PROGRAMS folder even after the UNINSTALL . This procedure may help with your problem .

So far Iam VERY happy with the factory 3.10's counting the quality and performance differance from the Omega 3.9's .

My.02 ;) :D

micamica1217

stereo555 said:
I used the Omega 3.9's for quite awhile ; no crashing in games , etc but I did get some wired rendering problems now again in 2-D apps . I just swithed to the factory ATI 3.10's yesterday and was pleasently surprised by much better 2-D/ 3-D colors and no 2-D rendering problems . I too can overclock my BBA 9800P alittle higher with no artifacts with the factory 3.10's .

One thing you must do when when swithing ATI drivers is to make sure you DELETE the leftover folder factory ATI drivers leave in the system . The folder will be named ATI , and reside in the PROGRAMS folder even after the UNINSTALL . This procedure may help with your problem .

So far Iam VERY happy with the factory 3.10's counting the quality and performance differance from the Omega 3.9's .

My.02 ;) :D

stereo555,

man, after trying the 3.8 and 3.9, I've been using the 3.7's and loving them.....everything works great, and I have no problems.
I'm willing to try the 3.10's, yet I'm a little lazy right now.

it's just a big pain to reinstall, not only the drivers, but all the "AIW" drivers too....plus the DVD player and the remote drivers.:mad:

should I try the cat 3.10's????
if you say that they are great I'll give them a try....
yet why fix something that's not broken?

anyway, this is also my way of saying "hello".:attn:
happy new year everyone.

mica

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
micamica1217 said:

stereo555,

man, after trying the 3.8 and 3.9, I've been using the 3.7's and loving them.....everything works great, and I have no problems.
I'm willing to try the 3.10's, yet I'm a little lazy right now.

it's just a big pain to reinstall, not only the drivers, but all the "AIW" drivers too....plus the DVD player and the remote drivers.:mad:

should I try the cat 3.10's????
if you say that they are great I'll give them a try....
yet why fix something that's not broken?

anyway, this is also my way of saying "hello".:attn:
happy new year everyone.

mica

*edited*

Hey Mica , wazup bro

I too hate the installing of new v/card drivers , but in this case Iam glad I did .

I used the 3.7's for a long time myself . I skipped the 3.8's :rolleyes: and ATI's 3.9's and used the Omega 3.9's . The Omega 3.9's were fine (no problems using), but something just never seemed right with them ; you know what I mean ? Picture/color quality and FPS just seemed off abit with the Omega's ; and never really noticed it till I went with ATI's 3.10's

Wow ... for me and ATI's 3.10's there was a VERY noticable differance right away . Colors were back to being great (if not better) , details seem sharper , and FPS in games seem better ( yet to check with FRAPS) . My 9800P even OC's abit further with stock cooling :) .

Ive been thinking maybe its just me , but after a few days using the 3.10's , I can that there IS a nice improvement with the new drivers . Also , myself having a 21" .24 APG monitor , you notice most any change in picture quality , etc , easier than most .

Bottom line Mica ....... I say definitly give the 3.10's a try , I think you'll like them alot . :D

*edit*
I forgot ... I also have ATI's 3.10's on my game server (Abit IT7/ P4 2.4/533 @ 3200) with a Sapphire 9700NP and all is very well with the 3.10's on that system too (with improvments noted also)
*end edit*

Aaaannnd ..... "Happy New Years" to ya , and everyone at the forums !!!:beer:

Last edited:
OP
B

bythegods

Registered
wow, thx for all the replies.
sorry i havent got back to this thread, was away for a few days.

anyway, i did turning off vpu recover the whole time, and also disable fastwrite and locking my agp frequency at 66/33

anyway, i've been using omega 3.7 since. and now i can reach 218 fsb (havent tried any higher yet) and got no problem whatsoever :p . lol i guess my system just dont like new drivers

o yea, happy new year guys, may the overlock god/s be kind to you in this new 2004 :p