• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weird problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CharlesHF

Ok, I have this weird problem. :rolleyes: What a surprise.

The past two days, I've had problems with my computer turning on. I've noticed that if I take it completely apart and change something and then turn it back on, it doens't want to come back on, or if it crashes (too high oc, etc) it doesn't like to come back on. But this is the first time that I've had problems with it turning on after I shut it down normally.

Last Tuesday I forgot to turn on the pump to my H2O system, and it boiled out of the Tygon. But everything survived. I decided that I'd use the power strip to turn everything on/off (that way I couldn't forget the pump). I've been doing it for a few days now, and as soon as I shut it down normally it doesn't want to turn back on.

I know that the mobo is getting clean power, because all the little LED's saying "good power" stay on all night. But, if I pull the power button thing off and short the 2 pins, it still doesn't come on. Sometimes if I disconnect the power from the PSU and plug it back in, it'll come back on. Sometimes it won't come on even if I do that. The past 2 days, I've gotten it to turn on by disconnecting the mobo power header, plugging in a cheapo PSU, and it turns on. But....that's also a hit and miss, sometimes it'll turn on with that, sometimes it won't. :eek: :bang head :temper:
<---going out of mind!

PSU: Enermax 431watt Whisper manual control
Mobo: SOYO Dragon+
CPU: AXP ARNGA-Y [email protected] (155*10.5)
Vid: Gainward GF4 Ti4200 128MB
TV: ATI-TV Wonder

According to MBM, here are my volts: (would paste pic, but it's bigger than 300*300)
Core0: 1.78
Core1: 2.53 (what's this?)
+3.3: 3.39
+5: 5.02
+12: 12.34
-12: -12.11
-5: -5.46

That's all I can think of for right now---any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

RnPgrosz

I've seen problems like this before, my guess is it has to do with your PSU because I have had that same problem occur with a cheapo PSU I was using(it would not turn back on either). It could possibly also have to do with the electrical outlet as well but I would say the PSU is the prime suspect. Try another PSU if you have one and also try a different electrical socket. BTW, Core:2.53v is most likely the vdimm(2.5v is stock).

OP
CharlesHF

CharlesHF

Ok, so now it's doing more weird stuff.
I completely disassembled my computer tonight, took everything (HDDs, FDD, and CDROM included) and put it all on the floor. I turned the switch on, and it powered right up. So.......I have a feeling that something is shorting out my mobo. I put everything back in the case, and it doesn't want to turn on. Arg, I'm going to pull out my 12-gauge and shoot this freaking thing! :mad: :eek: :mad:

OP
CharlesHF

CharlesHF

Ok, I just remembered something else.
About a week ago (last Tuesday) when I forgot to turn on the pump and the water boiled through the Tygon, the circuit on that side of my room tripped. Could the water have....sprayed into my PSU and killed it or something? I just tried to turn on another mobo (I know it's good) with the Enermax, and it didn't do jack squat. But....when it's plugged in it says that it's getting good power. Maybe it's just missing the command to turn on or something.
<---pulls out BFG10k and starts shooting his computer.

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
Have you looked inside the atx plug for burn marks? I read a thread awhile back and the guy found burns inside the plug, cleaned it w/ alcohol or something and it worked great after that. Just a thought.

OP
CharlesHF

CharlesHF

Tismedt said:
Have you looked inside the atx plug for burn marks? I read a thread awhile back and the guy found burns inside the plug, cleaned it w/ alcohol or something and it worked great after that. Just a thought.

Yeah, no burn marks.
I believe now that it's my motherboard. A second ago, I turned on my backup mobo with my Enermax--apparently the "metal" part of the screwdriver that I was using has a coating on it or something. Let me try something else that I know is metal, like a quarter. I'll get back to you in a few secs. :)

Edit: ok, now I'm pretty sure that it's my Soyo Dragon+ Mobo. Either that or it's being shorted out against my POS case. Either way, I'll probably be getting a new mobo and new case sometime soon. :)

skou

Charles, I had a similar problem with one of my TH711 boards (that's why I have a spare ). Remove the motherboard, aqnd clean it with some vapor degreaser - look for '111tricloroethane or tricloroethylene - after running this mobo, in an open case,
cooling the house with a swamp cooler, the mobo had some damp dust on it after I cleaned it- it worked fine.

steve

OP
CharlesHF

CharlesHF

skou said:
Charles, I had a similar problem with one of my TH711 boards (that's why I have a spare ). Remove the motherboard, aqnd clean it with some vapor degreaser - look for '111tricloroethane or tricloroethylene - after running this mobo, in an open case,
cooling the house with a swamp cooler, the mobo had some damp dust on it after I cleaned it- it worked fine.

steve

Hehe, you have a spare because you can *afford* a spare, mainly because you're not 16. ;) And, I would think that after living in arid-zona, your house would be........arid. ;) :) I don't know, man. I've been thinking about som....wait a second, none of my LED's are one. :eek: Ok, this is really shaping up to be a motherboard problem.

to finish what I was saying before I rudely interrupted myself---I've been thinking about a new mobo for a while now, these D+'s don't like high FSB. 155 is about the most it'll take.

skou

Arid, yeah right. Whwn I developed the problem, it was so humid, the fan on my HS, had a ring of moisture around the shroud- where it was flung off of the fan blades

Most of the time, it is very dry, but not on rare HUMID days especially with a swamp cooler.

steve