• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird reboots while idle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ed.howell

For a couple of days now I have been stress testing my CPU at different FSB settings to test stability. I test dual primes for about 30 hours with no problems. However after I end the tests I get intermittent reboots while surfing the net or doing anything that does not take a lot of CPU power. I get a blue flicker screen and a reboot. My voltage is 1.625-1.632 according to CPU-Z for the rest of my specs check my sig.
The rails on the PSU are rock steady while under full load.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dcasole

ed, Sounds like a memory problem

Are you sure your memory can run 1:1 with a 230 FSB? This would mean that it is running at 460. I know that you stated that you have run "Prime"

Try it with a 5:4 divider and see if it is stable or you could try upping the voltage to 2.8

Dave

OP
E

ed.howell

Thanks Dave,

I ran memtest last night all night long with no errors so I don't think its a memory problem. What do you think about it being a Windows problem? I notice some other funky stuff going on like getting booted out of Internet Explorer. Can ocing corrupt Windows to the point of having to reinstall it?

Ed

Dcasole

Ed, Not sure if OC can corrupt Windows but I am sure anything is possible

My CPU will run stable at 3.59 all day long with no problems but if I bump up the FSB 1 MHZ higher (trying to hit the majical 3.60) I get the same problem with random reboots :bang head

I have had it up to 3.63 to 3.65 and the temps are fine , power is rock stable but just surfing the web or opening up "Outlook" sometimes will cause it to reboot

My memory is not that good and that is what I am blaming for my problems

How low do you have to take the FSB to before the system is stable and does not random reboot?

Dave

Jimbob7

I wouldnt always trust memtest to be honest ive had some wierd things happen with it. Did you try ratio 5:4 as was said before, that does sound like it could be the problem. Also how do you rails change going from idle to full load?

OP
E

ed.howell

[BBE]Jimbob said:
I wouldnt always trust memtest to be honest ive had some wierd things happen with it. Did you try ratio 5:4 as was said before, that does sound like it could be the problem. Also how do you rails change going from idle to full load?

My memory does not like 5:4 ratio. I can get it to boot into windows with a higher FSB at 1:1 then 5:4. I will try a blend test in Prime to test the memory also.
Rails are very stable between idle and load. 12v is 11.916-11.855, 5v is 4.96 and 3.3v is 3.26.

situman

yeah i have the same issue too. But it could also be your videocard. if its overclocked or might be slightly loose.

Jimbob7

those rails are just about ok, with a p4 you really want a nice high +12v rail that could be an issue. You could try a diff psu.

Private Joker

Dcasole said:
My CPU will run stable at 3.59 all day long with no problems but if I bump up the FSB 1 MHZ higher (trying to hit the majical 3.60) I get the same problem with random reboots :bang head:

I have exactly the same problem... :mad:

And thats for sure: Its neither the memory nor the PSU.

Dcasole

I have exactly the same problem...

And thats for sure: Its neither the memory nor the PSU.

Private Joker, I don't want to hijack the thread but I have to ask what do you think it is?
The CPU just will not overclock any farther?

Dave

OP
E

ed.howell

situman said:
yeah i have the same issue too. But it could also be your videocard. if its overclocked or might be slightly loose.

I oced my video card a little bit, maybe I will try to put it back to stock and I will make sure its tight also.

Thanks everyone for your input so far!! :beer:

Ed

Private Joker

Dcasole said:
Private Joker, I don't want to hijack the thread but I have to ask what do you think it is?
The CPU just will not overclock any farther?
Dave

If I just knew.. :confused:
I guess it IS the CPU, because a lot of oc´ers just reach this point, where 1 FSB point more leads to (at least) random crashes.

I tried to loose the mem timings (even though my ram is specified to run 275FSB at def.timings). I tried to remove some stuff (like G-card, HDDs etc) to unload the PSU a bit (even though the rails seemed stable). But nothing helped...
I guess its just like that. :(

OP
E

ed.howell

Here's an update. I tested dual prime large FFT's for 12 hours at 234FSB with no problems. However when I switch to a Blend single Prime it boots within 1 minute no matter what memory volgage or ratio 1:1 5:4 or 3:2. So I set it back to stock and ran Prime blend with no problems. :bang head

What do you guys think? Is it for sure a memory problem or do you guys think it still could be a Windows problem?

aNTiChRisT

Here's the weird thing...

3.5 = max stable for RAM @ cas2.5 , fully stable (for star wars galaxies =))
3.75 = No crashes (running weeks at a time...) all games stable APART from SWG?
3.8 = random reboots (this is only afew mhz difference on the bus...

Just instability, and the ways the CPU responds to that.

~t0m

Falkentyne

ed.howell said:
For a couple of days now I have been stress testing my CPU at different FSB settings to test stability. I test dual primes for about 30 hours with no problems. However after I end the tests I get intermittent reboots while surfing the net or doing anything that does not take a lot of CPU power. I get a blue flicker screen and a reboot. My voltage is 1.625-1.632 according to CPU-Z for the rest of my specs check my sig.
The rails on the PSU are rock steady while under full load.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's the CPU. Back down on the FSB a bit, and the reboots will go away. Right?
You're getting reboots possibly because you have your computer set to reboot on errors, instead of displaying a blue screen. But sometimes, even when you turned off automatic reboot, it can still reboot.

Seems odd that a cpu would crash at IDLE but not at load, but that's just what happens with some chips. Usually, this happens more on chips which have begun to degrade in their overclock (and an idle crash is the first sign of this happening), rather than new chips.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
Falkentyne said:
It's the CPU. Back down on the FSB a bit, and the reboots will go away. Right?
You're getting reboots possibly because you have your computer set to reboot on errors, instead of displaying a blue screen. But sometimes, even when you turned off automatic reboot, it can still reboot.

Seems odd that a cpu would crash at IDLE but not at load, but that's just what happens with some chips. Usually, this happens more on chips which have begun to degrade in their overclock (and an idle crash is the first sign of this happening), rather than new chips.
ive discussed this withe ed.howell also.
i dont think his chip is degrading but maxed out.
i have the same issues at 4.1ghz with no load.but at 100% load runs fine,and gets reboots at idle.so i backed off for everyday running to 4060mhz and have no issues and can still run higher when i want the extra boost.

the main thing that points to the cpu for me is i know everything else is in its safe zone ive found for each item except for my mobo.mabey its just maxed at 293fsb but i doubt that.but his same exact issues happen at lower fsb so add 2+2 together its our cpus maxed out.

this is just my reasoning.
now lucky for him he can add better cooling,my only choice is new cpu.
:attn: YES i found a lame excuse to upgrade lol