• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well my new comp WAS just working this morning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

furiousfords89

Well my new computer WAS working perfectly before the MSN software crapped out on me. Ok heres the story..about an hour ago i came back from the comp shop.....i bought a new floppy drive and a rounded floppy cable..so i swapped out my old floppy drive/cable....and turned the comp on and it booted up just fine. And i was going to go online before one of my programs tried to start up '' free ram xp pro'' and when i tried to get into msn the MSN software froze my comp and i tried to shut it down in windows but it kept on freezing, after about 5 ''hard'' reboots i found out that the power switch didnt work anymore. So then i did what i shouldnt have done> i flipped the I/O switch in back of the PSU, and everytime i press down on the power switch connector on the mobo the comp starts up and the fans spin and my LED fan's light keeps flipping on and off, but thats about it. I have tried everything to get this comp back up and running but no luck. Did i break the power switch or something? If i did i cant return the case cause i modded it. So will someone PLEASE!!! help me out here. i really feel bummed now....i just built my first comp and it was up and running despite a lot of glitches and now THIS had to happen to me. What do u guys think i should do now?
P.S.: the LED light on the mobo is still on right now
thanks in advance

Xenocide

turn the switch on the back of the psu off for about 25 minutes, then turn it back on and press the powerbutton. if that doesn't work, you might have something seriously wrong

ukdan

Get a mutimeter, one of the ones that can make an audiable bleep when the two leads are touched together, remove the two leads from the motherboard for the power switch and put the multimeter probes on those two leads. press the power switch if there is no beep then the switch is faulty

Dubbin1

ukdan said:
Get a mutimeter, one of the ones that can make an audiable bleep when the two leads are touched together, remove the two leads from the motherboard for the power switch and put the multimeter probes on those two leads. press the power switch if there is no beep then the switch is faulty
It does not take a beeping multimeter to test that.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
might have to clear the CMOS chip.. So take out the battary and let it all rest for a little bit (an hour...) and then try it.

I doubt you broke anything, it sounds like just a little problem to me. Dont worry, and welcome to the forums. :)

cbakey

After you reset the board by leaveing the PSU unplugeed for a good wheil, and clear the Cmos theres and easy way to see if your switch, take something that you know is conductive and cross the two prongs where the power button plugs into, if it starts its the button if it dosent start than hummmmm you have a big problem, but make sure what ever you use is extremely conductive so you dont question o is it a big problem or what im useing isnt conductive enough.....