• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

well....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
I was thinking about going to water cooling but decided not to. Currently I have a 2400 xp @stock. I have tried bumping it up, but my FSB will only go up to 140 before it won't post. Beyond that I guess I have to start playing with voltages which, make more heat. I have a volcano 9 with smart fan 2. @stock i sit at 43-44 idle and 49-51 load. Using plain old white thermal grease. Would I see an improvement, and be able to overclock more if I upgrade to a SLK-800 A with 80mm smart fan II along with AS3? I see that SVC has them on sale for 35 bucks.

Also, I am going to mod my memory, northbridge, southbridge, and video card with fans/ramsinks ect. For applying ramsinks (so they don't fall off) would artic silver epoxy be good for both GPU and ram?

Thanks again!

Noone can ever guarantee you can overclock more by cooling a chip more.

That being said, yeah you might see an improvement.
Getting off white grease will help some, but don't be fooled by people making out like it's a sin against man... :( It still has it's uses.

AS Epoxy will do fine holding ramsinks on, just remember to clamp it as tight as you're comfortable with and that it's perminant for all intencive purposes.

The reason why you cant go over 140 is because your mobo doesnt have pci lock and your memory isnt that good, i doubt it is heat causing the problem, mine wont do anything above 143 FSB it is cause of my memory and lack of pci lock, not heat.

memory not good? meaning cheapo? Odd, its either kingston or crucial i can't remember.

kingston and crucial are both awesome memory makers. I wish I could afford some right now...

EDIT: TWO STARS!!!!

ashenfang said:
clamp? what do you clamp, and how can you clamp something on the mobo?

I think he meant to clamp the heatsinks to the ram until the epoxy has time to cure. You want to make sure that the heatsink make as good a contact to the ram chips as possible. If the heatsinks shift while the epoxy is curing, you won't be able to move them back easily.

Ken

penquissciguy yep. You can use rubberbands, but I like clamps...

Dad has some big rubber padded ones that work well, so I use those when I go home.

The advantage of a clamp is that you can precisely control the prussure you out on it, where you put on it. Did I mention nothing ever slips out? LoL!

Back