• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Western Digital offers three years warranty......At a price

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SemiCycle

THIS article kinda ****es me off. Why don't they stop playing these games and just raise the price of their drives 10-20 bucks and still give the 3 year warranty. I would glady pay the difference.

Many computers in the OEM and tier one PC sector only offer 90 day to 1 year warranties now anyway. Shorten those guys warrenties.

I do understand that keeping 3-5 years of older hard drive stock for warranties is EXPENSIVE, but I still think it is very strange that all the hard drive manufactures decided to change their 3 year warranties to 1 year warranties on the exact same day.

toastedzergling

It's because all manufactures are losing money selling desktop hard drives for the past several years, and they just can't keep doing this.

OP
SemiCycle

SemiCycle

If they ever found out that you OCed the drive on the FSB, I guess there is a chance that the warranty is voided, but OCers make such a small percent of the hard drives used (easily WAY less then 1%) that they probably don't test for this.

Tipycol

slipknot said:
If they ever found out that you OCed the drive on the FSB, I guess there is a chance that the warranty is voided, but OCers make such a small percent of the hard drives used (easily WAY less then 1%) that they probably don't test for this.

True true, guess you don't have to tell them, especially if they don't ask about it :D Yea the warranty would be a good deal then:)

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
I don't understand the problem. If you wouldn't mind paying the extra up front, why do you mind paying it after-the-fact? I mean, it may be a convience thing (dunno myself), but it couldn't be THAT big a hassle... Unless it was like a rebate :rolleyes:

Well, not charging the extra up front will save them more money than charging it. People who don't care about the warntee will not buy it, and then probably won't come to the manufactuer when it dies, because it will probably be out of warntee. And so, the manufactuer will probably save more money not replacing drives then charging for the warntee and replacing them IMO.

JigPu

OP
SemiCycle

SemiCycle

It is just VERY VERY VERY fishy how all of the hard drive manufactures came to the conclusion at the EXACT same time to change their warranties from 3 to 1 year. Can you not smell the tampering? It is almost like they all got together and said, "hey guys, lets screw the consumer together"

Check out THIS too. Where the heck is this coming from. So now they are giving shorter warranties and the price of the drives is starting to go up. I bet you the inventory problems are artificial. I know they are.

Tipycol

slipknot said:
It is just VERY VERY VERY fishy how all of the hard drive manufactures came to the conclusion at the EXACT same time to change their warranties from 3 to 1 year. Can you not smell the tampering? It is almost like they all got together and said, "hey guys, lets screw the consumer together"

Check out THIS too. Where the heck is this coming from. So now they are giving shorter warranties and the price of the drives is starting to go up. I bet you the inventory problems are artificial. I know they are.

Well maybe they are trying to make as much money as possible before the Serial ATA drives get released and cause a drop in the prices of IDE drives.

Just a thought

Tipycol

Tebore

Maybe there's a big fat bald guy sitting in a leather chair in the shadows of a dark room surrounded by monitors strokeing a cat that thinks this stuff up and actually controls the entire computer market.
Looks like i better bring my clicking maxtor back before it dies.