• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What 400- 500 powersupply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

puji

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2003
Location
Sedona
I am upgrading my computer and reading up on alot of it I decided for p4 2.4 AI7 ATI 9800 pro.
I also figured I need a new power supply, because my old fortron 250
is not good enough any more. So I have the choice between for supplies:
Enlight ATX 420 5(40) 3.3(30) combined 220 W 12(18) 216W ($49)
Allied 500 5(52) 3.3(28) combined 260 W 12(20) 212W ($64)
Aspire 500 5(28) 3.3(30) combined 200 W 12(34) 280W ($59)
Sparkle 400 5(40) 3.3(28) combined 234 W 12(15) ($64)
First question what it more importend for modest overclocking (also for the future), high 5V rail or high 12V rail? Like the Sparkle has 40/ 15 and the Aspire 28/34.
Second question: would the Enlight be a good choice quality wise because it seems to have the best performance /price ratio.
Third question: anything about the Aspire, do not care about the fancy stuff, just in case I have to go for the higher 12v rail ?

thanks
puji
 

Steven4563

Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Location
Northants England
Sparkle 400watt would be plenty as they are made by FSP :)

also it doesnt matter about "WATTAGE" much its best to go with a good brand my FSP350 Watt psu kicks the crap out off my mums b/fs power max 430watt psu or whatever it is
 

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Joined
Feb 4, 2003
Location
SF Bay Area
The Sparkle 400W is an excellent choice, but the 530W is a far better deal for only 5 bucks more. Spring for it if possible.

Almost all modern motherboards derive core voltage from the +12v rail, but you still want to have healthy +3.3v and +5v rails for your video card and other peripherals. Don't bother too much with the BS printed on the labels though; almost all of it is totally false in one extreme or the other.

A good name brand is just about the most important factor. Buying a cheaper brand can often turn out to be expensive when the PSU ends up blowing hardware. Again, pay no attention to the (false) rail ratings on the labels.
 

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
Joined
Mar 18, 2003
puji said:
Enlight ATX 420 5(40) 3.3(30) combined 220 W 12(18) 216W ($49)
Allied 500 5(52) 3.3(28) combined 260 W 12(20) 212W ($64)
Aspire 500 5(28) 3.3(30) combined 200 W 12(34) 280W ($59)
Sparkle 400 5(40) 3.3(28) combined 234 W 12(15) ($64)

Fortron 530 will annihilate all of the above... avoid the Allied at all costs. Another good choice would be the Antec Truepowers above 430w.
 

CrashOveride

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2002
Location
Beijing, China
Re: Re: What 400- 500 powersupply?

Oklahoma Wolf said:


Fortron 530 will annihilate all of the above... avoid the Allied at all costs. Another good choice would be the Antec Truepowers above 430w.

The 400w Sparkle is a fortron unit, and from what he said that is all he has. 400w Sparkle is the way to go I think.
 

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
Joined
Mar 18, 2003
Re: Re: Re: What 400- 500 powersupply?

CrashOveride said:


The 400w Sparkle is a fortron unit, and from what he said that is all he has. 400w Sparkle is the way to go I think.

I'm aware of that... didn't notice the 400 was all the choice he had - what I get for not getting enough sleep and then posting to too many threads ;)

Of the 4, the Fortron/Sparkle is definitely the best option... the Allied and Aspire I wouldn't let near either of my systems.
 
OP
P

puji

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2003
Location
Sedona
I wanted to post that yesterday but I was refused for whatever reasons. So I post it today

Thanks for the replies I did not expect that many at christmas eve. Mary Christmas to everybody.
I am aware that sparkle(fortron) is highly recommendet. What concerns me a little is their 12V rail is a little bit on the low side and all the new motherboards videocards require extra power supply for the 12 V . My allready has 13A is 16 or 18 not a little bit on the lower side?My question is simply, are there not other psus out there reliable and a little more bang for a little less money? Like what about the enlight 420, it is only $49?

thanks puji
 
OP
P

puji

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2003
Location
Sedona
Re: Re: Re: Re: What 400- 500 powersupply?

Oklahoma Wolf said:


I'm aware of that... didn't notice the 400 was all the choice he had - what I get for not getting enough sleep and then posting to too many threads ;)

Of the 4, the Fortron/Sparkle is definitely the best option... the Allied and Aspire I wouldn't let near either of my systems.

Hi Oklahoma,

I recognizd your name from other forums. Why not Allied, it got some pretty good reviews. But then I also do not know how well they were testing them

puji
 

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Joined
Feb 4, 2003
Location
SF Bay Area
First of all, 15A or 16A is by no means a weak amount. Second, a Fortron that's rated for 15-16A will go past 18A nine times out of ten. Thirdly, an Allied can't be counted to even do close to its rating, or even not to blow all of your hardware. Run from Allied PSU's like the plague. There have been so many reports of these blowing hardware its ridiculous. If you want bang for the buck, go for the $38 350W Sparkle unit; it'll easily outpower any Allied or Achieve.
 

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
Joined
Mar 18, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What 400- 500 powersupply?

puji said:


Hi Oklahoma,

I recognizd your name from other forums. Why not Allied, it got some pretty good reviews. But then I also do not know how well they were testing them

puji

You mean I'm actually famous? lol

Allied is another name for Deer - I like to call them the worst of the worst, but there could be others I don't know about yet. My experience with all these Foxconn made PSU's is that when they blow (not if - when) they often take out other hardware. My 250w for example struggled to power a Duron 700 for about a year, and then commenced destroying hard drives.

Many of Deer's models aren't quite as bad as these 250's and their greater than 50% failure rate, but they all have trouble even coming close to their ratings. I'd take even a 200w Fortron/Sparkle over a Foxconn/Deer/Allied/Mustang/Eagle/L&C/Austin 500w any day.
 
OP
P

puji

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2003
Location
Sedona
Ok, two down one more to go. I know the sparkle 400 is not a bad choice, but what about this enlight 420 the values are good (better than the sparkle) for only $49 at newegg ?

puji
 

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Joined
Feb 4, 2003
Location
SF Bay Area
If you're on a budget, get the $39 350W Sparkle. It'll run circles around any lower-branded PSU, or even higher rated Antecs.
 

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
Joined
Mar 18, 2003
puji said:
...what about this enlight 420 the values are good (better than the sparkle) for only $49 at newegg ?

puji

Sirtec made - it'll do ok but will be outpowered by a 350 Fortron. I usually place Sirtec next to Enermax in terms of build quality. Not the best IMO, but far from the worst.
 

pelikan

Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
I have a 350W fortron. The rails don't even budge under load, even when I bench with 2.06V vcore at 2650 MHz (rails measured with a DMM).
Edit: Also the Fortrons have a pot to adjust the 5V and 12V rails.
 
OP
P

puji

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2003
Location
Sedona
Thank you guys for all your helpfull inputs. One last question, how important is it to get a PSU with PFC ?

puji
 

mikesta

Registered
Joined
May 21, 2003
sorry for the threadjack, but i had a question.

are all sparkle PSUs fortron PSUs or is it only the 400W?

if they are different, which would you guys rather go with?
 

CrashOveride

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2002
Location
Beijing, China
I don't know that they ALL are, but most of them are. You can tell by looking at the part number or wahtever that is and if it has FSP in it it is. (FSP= Fortron Source Power, I think)

I would rather go with a Fortron, It's a lil cheaper I think... and it doesn't pass through as many hands...
 
OP
P

puji

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2003
Location
Sedona
mikesta said:
sorry for the threadjack, but i had a question.

are all sparkle PSUs fortron PSUs or is it only the 400W?

if they are different, which would you guys rather go with?

Fortron, sparkle, power man and others are all the same only different names and sometimes small modifications. My power man
is a fortron FSP250-60GTA but it has 16,25, 13.

puji
 

CrashOveride

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2002
Location
Beijing, China
puji said:


Fortron, sparkle, power man and others are all the same only different names and sometimes small modifications. My power man
is a fortron FSP250-60GTA but it has 16,25, 13.

puji

You may be right... Actualy some of the Sparkel ones that newegg carries that don't have FSP in their model name have Fortron PSUs that newegg carries with the same model...