• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What $6198.98 would buy in 1996?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In '96 I was playing MW2 (MechWarrior 2, not that other game you might be thinking of) on a 486DX2-66 with an Orchid Celsius VLB video card and some wavetable sound card that came from a Multimedia upgrade kit (from Costco) back when wavetable was the hot sound card gimmick. All on DOS 6.22.

Fun times. I used to have a demo program that was really kickin' back then, I wish I could remember what it was called. It had a lot of weird rolling and checkerboard effects, and some neat music and sound too.

In '96 I was playing MW2 (MechWarrior 2, not that other game you might be thinking of) on a 486DX2-66 with an Orchid Celsius VLB video card and some wavetable sound card that came from a Multimedia upgrade kit (from Costco) back when wavetable was the hot sound card gimmick. All on DOS 6.22.

Fun times. I used to have a demo program that was really kickin' back then, I wish I could remember what it was called. It had a lot of weird rolling and checkerboard effects, and some neat music and sound too.

Megarace?
That had great graffic's to it..that was the only game I was able to use my Logitec gamepad with.

And may I say, it's good to see some of you guys are still alive....Super
of course I don't have time to get into all the topics here, you may have been here all the time, I just haven't seen you post lately.

I'll bet that Trident VLB busmaster card I have was $300.00-$500.00 when it came out.

My friend had a 100mhz pentium with a 500mb hard drive... in 97 or 98.

Wonder how much it cost his dad, i remember playing heroes of might and magic 2 and die by the sword on it.

God those were the days!

My friend had a 100mhz pentium with a 500mb hard drive... in 97 or 98.

Wonder how much it cost his dad, i remember playing heroes of might and magic 2 and die by the sword on it.

God those were the days!

maybe if bought in 1997 it was around $800-900.

OMG did any of you notice that by removing a little jumper on the motherboard, the speed went from 100 mhz to 133? It was totally accidental but I was so amazed by it. Wait, maybe there was something printed on the mobo that suggested it. I forget.

I noticed the difference, but the system became unstable and wouldn't usually run much after windows started up. I think that was my entry to the world of overclocking. Ok, maybe not. heh. I think it would crash. I also tried upgrading the cpu after it became obsolete for my needs but something stopped working and it never turned on again even w/ thermal paste.

And that's how overclocking forums started. :)

First computer I used was my parents' 386, running MS-DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.1 with a 10MB hard drive, 3.5" and 5.25" floppies, Thunderboard sound, and some Trident graphics card. I think I've still got the Windows 3.1 (and 2.0, too :)) disks somewhere.

In the late 90s/early 00s, I remember going to my grandparents basement where my aunt had stored some computer equipment that they never used and I was allowed to take, so I opened up a 286, which weighed probably 50 pounds. Inside was a 5/1/4 bay that housed a fully functioning 3.5 floppy drive which I took and added to another computer I had built and I totally digged the retro, boxy tactile drive. But then I noticed another HUGE 5/1/4 drive, and it wasn't a CD-ROM drive. It was the Harddrive and weighed a ton (Edit: I think it fit into another bay, while there was also the 5/1/4 larger floppy drive). I only found out it was a harddrive when I squinted at the label and saw a size: 20MB!! We've come a long way. It probably could run a non-GUI linux pretty well though.

I did the same thing, except it wasn't my grandparents and I ended up getting locked into a cellar for 4 years. I was only fed crushed potato chips and water, they would slide it under the door in a doggie bowl. The door was about 18 inches thick and made out of Titanium.

God the 90's sucked :cry:

Nope, was just a couple of boy-hungry individuals.

Made me dress up like Steve Urkel and play musical chairs in my cellar.

urkel.jpg

lmao i got almost the same pc in my storage right now. 100mhz cpu packard bell. Anyone want it. i cant even give it away on craigslist lol

I feel spoiled my first PC was from Incredible universe which is now frys it was a 233mhz amd k6 and it cost around $1400 moms got it on here credit card I remember i was able to sell it for $225 bucks my sophomore year of highschool. played lots of quake and half life.

Back