• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What a piece of junk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

Ok, I've built more computers than I can count and then I come to this Abit NF7-S mobo. WTF???!! First it won't start at all, after some messing it starts...errrr... somewhat. Now I can't install a damn OS on it, it hangs before it even gets finished looking for drives. Is this is what I'm to expect from this board the whole time I "can use it"? If that time ever comes. It sure seems this thing is a piece of junk to me. I'm losing faith in this forum quickly, this is the second time I have been given bad info on an item. I have had some good but the good advice hasn't cost me money like the bad.

No offense meant but it seems you guys care more about cost than quality form what I've seen.

Well if you are as knowledgeable as you say, perhaps the board is defective... it happens unfortunately. File for an RMA if you can't figure it out.

One thing's for sure... this is among the best AMD boards out at the moment for a reason... a working NF7-S board is NOT a "POS".

The more I work the more RMA seems possible but with BIOS and now a possible bad board it seems Abit has rushed a board that could have been better.

wannaoc said:
No offense meant but it seems you guys care more about cost than quality form what I've seen.

I'm sorry you're having a real bad out of box expirence.

I actually bought this mobo because of the quality and it was more expensive than the others on my short list.

Make sure all the basics were covered like none of the mounting studs are shorting anything out, all the connections are correct, hard drives are configured correctly, etc.

Try running a Knoppix CD and see if you can get it booted up in linux.

This is certainly NOT a bad board....probably the best I've ever had! Initially with my version 1.2 I had a lot of problems; mainly with jumpers on hard drives, and cd drives; the NF7-S I've found is VERY particular to jumpers; whereas my A7V333 was not too bothered about it, every jumper has to be in the correct position (i.e. master/slave) for it to boot properly; even then I had to experiment to get my 3 year old dvd drive to work, but once I got there, everything is flying!

Even though I agree with you about the NF2:D do make sure you have all the basics covered. If you feel that the Forums have given you bad advice I feel you have not read enough, for every "nice product comment" post here you will always find a "bad product comment" post. Have you not seen all the complaint threads about the board you picked? Do a search for these:
  • BIOS Corruption
  • Silicon Image Corruption on RAID
  • Bad Voltages
  • Wrong Temp Readings
I'm sure if you had read about all of these issues you would have thought harder about your purchase.

Understand that if you want to be on the cutting edge of anything be prepared 'cause you will feel like a Beta Tester & that is true for any product be it whatever chipset manufacturer, MoBo manucturer, etc.....:beer:

Try this

I went from an Asus A7n8x to the NF7-s and I could not get it to go past the boot up screen. I could not enter the bios or anything. I unplugged all the ide devices including the hard drive and I was able to enter the bios this way. It turns out that for whatever reason my hard drive was not working. I purchased a new one and everything went perfect from then on. The hard drive that was dead was a WD and only about a year old. Just something to try. Good Luck.

wannaoc said:
Ok, I've built more computers than I can count and then I come to this Abit NF7-S mobo. WTF???!! First it won't start at all, after some messing it starts...errrr... somewhat. Now I can't install a damn OS on it, it hangs before it even gets finished looking for drives. Is this is what I'm to expect from this board the whole time I "can use it"? If that time ever comes. It sure seems this thing is a piece of junk to me. I'm losing faith in this forum quickly, this is the second time I have been given bad info on an item. I have had some good but the good advice hasn't cost me money like the bad.

How about lowering your FSB and your overclock and trying to see if everything is good. For one thing, I have not seen too many Bartons that can run a FSB 200MHz and greater stable. I have not seen many that can run past 2300MHz stable. Drop it to close to it's rated speed, try to get your board set-up, then go for your overclock.

Hammer

EDIT: I just read in another thread that you got it running now....you should have updated this thread so I wouldn't have posted this advice.

Re: Try this

ru1 said:
I could not enter the bios or anything. I unplugged all the ide devices including the hard drive and I was able to enter the bios this way. It turns out that for whatever reason my hard drive was not working. I purchased a new one and everything went perfect from then on. The hard drive that was dead was a WD and only about a year old. Just something to try. Good Luck.

I had the problem with a NF7-S 2.0, a WD hard drive, and a Samsung DVD-ROM too, wouldn't boot up, would freeze at bootup, so I had to unplug the drives to even get into BIOS. Problem mysteriously went away when I added in a CD-RW...

I just got an NF7 ( no S ) , and as of right now it is NOT as good a board as the 2 previous NF2 boards I've owned (v 1.0 + 1.1 8RDA+ boards ).......

It is not bad, but so far it is not as good....... and NOWHERE near as good as my 1st board ( the v 1.0 )........ that thing puts this to shame.......

Too bad it bit the dust.

Not a bad board overall....... we'll see what she does after I work her out some more.

Back