• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What air cooling for a Radeon 9700 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freshy98

This may sound stupid, but I was wondering what you people use to cool the Radeon 9700 Pro when overclocking the living daylights out of it.

I was planning on buying a Hercules 9700 Pro, but I could also buy a cheaper card (Club 3D or Power Color type brand) and put some own cooling on it.

Now, I won't be using Peltier or water or dry ice but something more "normal".
I was thinking of a copper cooler from ThermalTake (same as on the Hercules?) and some neat heatsinks for the memory.

Who can give me ideas and things to look for?

btw: it has to be done before next saturday 'cause I'm going to the biggest computer fair here in The Netherlands (HCC Dagen in Utrecht).

Thanks very much in advance!

funnyperson1

if youre going to spend that much money on a 9700Pro dont get low quality powercolor or club3d cards...get ati or hercules or gigbayte

OP
freshy98

freshy98

what do you mean low quality??? all the boards you mention are manufactured by ATI them selfs!
Only that new board from Tyan is made by Tyan...
The only difference is in video output according to the article on Toms Hardware.

I'm sorry, but I absolutly don't agree with you on this one.

beezee

I'm not sure if you have a radioshack there, but they sell aluminum heatsinks for a fairly descent price. As for the core, people have been using the cooljag for their gf4s. Anyway I hope this helps... good luck! :)

OP
freshy98

freshy98

In The Netherlands there is no RadioShack as far as I know off, but there are stores who sell heatsinks (even from Alpha I believe).

about the CoolJag. there are several types of that brand.
which CoolJag do you mean specificly?

anyways, thanks for the tip on the CoolJag.