• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What am I doing wrong

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buffdaddy110

Registered
I'm trying to get my Athlon 2500 overclocked to 200 FSB, however the computer justs keeps rebooting at anything over 185 (I'm using 11 as multiplier). I've got an Epox 8RDA3I NForce 2 Ultra motherboard (400 FSB) and 2 x 512 of OCZ Extreme Latency PC3200. My power supply is an Antec True 430. All my hardware should easily allow me to reach 200 FSB without messing with the voltage. Does anyone know what may be causing me to not reach 200 FSB? I'm also using a thermalright SP-97 heatsink with a 92mm panaflow fan, so cooling is difinately not an issue.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Yes, he was trying to that at his default voltage.

Depending on your chip some desktops have been know to require well over 1.8 volts Vcore to get over 2.2 GHz...

You have an excellent heatsink, nice power supply, nForce2 mobo, it should not be a problem to get a nice overclock out of your system with increased Vcore voltage, give it a try, you're well equipped ;).

c627627

When you increase it, your temps will increase as well so it depends on what your cooling can handle + how much more of an overclock you can get with each increase.

Here's one way of doing it:

Download the latest bug fixed version of Prime95:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Double click on PRIME95.EXE to start the program.

Just Stress Testing (if prompted) > OK >
Options > Torture Test > Blend (if prompted) > OK

The program should not give any errors.
It may be necessary to run the program 12-24 hours to make sure an overclocked system is stable (no program errors displayed).

If you get errors only after several hours, this is a result of slight instability because the system is running with little or no margin. It's stable enough to boot and to be moderately stressed, but as soon as the system is under enough load to go over that critical point, it will freeze. To be 100% stable, Prime95 should run 12-24 hours without any errors.

The point of testing is to see if you get errors or not thus testing the stability. The meaning of errors themselves is not as important.

Running Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes is enough to get a feeling about general stability. If it seems to be stable, increase the FSB (with 0.025V Vcore increase if needed), or increase the multiplier by 0.5.

Reboot and run Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes and repeat this until the Program displays errors.
It's then time to back down and repeat the Torture Test until there are no errors for at least 12 hours.

It's OK to use the computer while Prime95 Torture Test is running in the background.

After finding your stable point you may want to then retest by going to the Advanced section, setting the password to 9876 and then setting Priority to 10. (You won't be able to use your computer while Priority 10 Prime95 Torture Test is running, but it'll confirm your system stability.)

Use 3DMark to test video card stability.

OP
B

buffdaddy110

Registered
I've got it running good with 10 x 200, so I've finally broke the 400 FSB barier. However, I was running 11.5 x 180 which is obviously faster CPU speed. My new question is, am I better off with a higher FSB or a faster CPU speed with lower FSB?

c627627

You're beter off with higher FSB unless the MHz difference is too large.

You should play with your multiplier to find the best ratio....

OP
B

buffdaddy110

Registered
I ran prime95 at 10 x 200 for two hours error free. When I upped the multiplier to 10.f prime95 immediately gave me; FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4. Computer seems to be running stable however.
My Vcore settings are 1.6 (default) 1.8 and 2.0. Is it safe to up the vcore to 1.8

OP
B

buffdaddy110

Registered
I upped the vcore to 1.675 and upped the multiplier to 10.5 and prime95 is chugging along error free. I'll try bumping it up to 11 x 200 and see if that works. Thats as high as I want to go, my goal is to reach xp3200 so I can get the urge to buy one out of my head. It appears as though the voltage was more than likely my prblem.

c627627

Of course, we established that straight away.

Go up toward 1.8 volts or 1.85 or more (gradually), just watch your temperatures.

OP
B

buffdaddy110

Registered
I bumped the Vcore up to 1.8 and went to 11 x 200 and so far things seem to be running flawless, and my temp is running at 40 degrees. You've got to love the thermalright SP-97.

c627627

All copper Thermalrights are the best.

You still have overclocking room there it seems...

OP
B

buffdaddy110

Registered
At 11 x 200 with the Vcore at 1.8 volts I get an imeediate error on prime95. My system seems to be running just fine however. What should I try next to see if I can lose the error.