• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What? AM1 chips seem to clock real poorly!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

Where 3.0 is a record?! Give me a break. They're the little chips known to me as "the new ones that can't clock better than a 90 nm"

They appear to be the worst clocking chips since Manchester, Agena and Toliman!

At this rate, I can see them getting killed by a G3258 easily!

Last edited:
90nm? Heck my 6400+ is over 4ghz bro! lol.

Got a 130nm Paris core that did 3200mhz on LN!

But then again AM1 is 25w and is meant for HTPC mini PC and such. And 2.0ghz to 3.0ghz is a decent 1000mhz OC.

The 6400+ at the 4ghz I brag about is only 800mhz OC and that's a USA record I hold atm.

And then we try and compare AMD to Intel again...... but why? There's not point.

But then again AM1 is 25w and is meant for HTPC mini PC and such. And 2.0ghz to 3.0ghz is a decent 1000mhz OC.

This ^^
The platform isn't meant to be a power house. It's meant to be cheap and low powered. If someone were building an HTPC for movies/surfing/e-mail. It will hold it's own quite well.

A 50% overclock is impressive, actually.

You don't see that kind of % increase until LN2 benching other CPUs (thinking Haswell, Haswell-E, Skylake, BDozer, etc)!

Last edited:
AM1 are locked chips where all base on pcie but somehow they still pass 120-130MHz. Not to mention that AM1 has already 2+ years ( or maybe Kabini chips which are generally BGA ).
PS4 and XBONE have about the same chips but 6 core with stronger graphics.

Next thing is that Kabini is stronger core to core than FX or FM1/FM2 APUs. I mean performance @2.5GHz is about as high as 3.2-3.5GHz FX. Kabini have real cores, not 2 thread modules but chipset is really poor and has too few pcie lanes to shine. There is only single channel memory controller.

On the other hand I don't know why AMD is not releasing any new APUs for this socket. Something like 4 socket AM1 + quad channel memory controller and you have nice low power server platform. It handles VM without issues. I was testing it on 4 VM.

Back