• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are best slots for 2 sticks memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JBRONCFAN

Registered
I ended up RMAing the Soyo Dragon Ultra (Black) that I was using to build my sister's computer. I stole her stick of 512mb of Crucial RAM and popped it in my system. What is the recommended slot formation for 2 sticks of RAM? 1st and 2nd slots or 1st and 3rd slots? Starting closest to the CPU, which slot is #1? Currently, I have the two slots closest to the CPU filled with RAM.

Paradoxmaker

From the Soyo website.

DDR Memory support for KT400 Dragon Ultra (Platinum, Lite and Black Edition) and KT333 Dragon Plus

NOTE:
1. Only 2 banks of PC2700, and PC3200 is supported, this means you can only place two(2) DDR333(PC2700), or DDR400(PC3200) modules on this board. this board does, however; support three(3) DDDR266(PC2100) memory modules
2. if two modules(PC3200, or PC2700) are being used on this board. Make sure to place one module on DDR socket #1, and one on DDR socket #3.
3. If only one(1) memory module is being used on the board, you can place the module on either one of the memory sockets.

Slot #3 is the one farthest from the CPU so that makes slot #1 the one closest to the CPU.

Last edited:

Paradoxmaker

I just looked at the memory suppory closer and I noticed that for the Kt333 board it has a link to Crucial to select Ram compatibility, however the Kt400 does not list Crucial as being compatible. If you look at the same Cricial site compatibility list it has a list of compatible RAM.

Maybe the ram in general was the whole problem.

OP
J

JBRONCFAN

Registered
"Maybe the ram in general was the whole problem."

I initially used the Crucial in my sister's PC I built and when that didn't work, I took out the stick of Samsung that was successfully working in my Soyo Dragon mobo, put it in hers and it still didn't work. When I RMA'd her board, I took her Crucial and put it in my PC and it is recognized by my system. I'm showing 1gig of RAM using the Samsung and the Crucial in my system together but it would appear I have them in slots #2 and #3, the two slots closest to the CPU. Working fine though, do you think it's worth the trouble to put them in slots #1 and #2 if they are already working okay?

eplayer87

Registered
I don't think it would be worth the trouble if they are working just fine in slots 2 and 3.

mlbarse153

Registered
Look on your MB for printing at the end of the slots of your DDR DIMMS. They should say DDR DIMM 1, DDR DIMM 2 and DDR DIMM 3. As far as the best config, I would also like to know since I have a SY-K7V Dragon+ MB. I have tried to add more than one piece of memory and then the system crashes. With only one piece I have no problems running XP Home and apps. I'm using Crucial PC2100 512MB memory that's recommended by Crucial for this MB. I have also flashed my BIOS to the latest on Soyo's site. Any ideas why the crashing with more than 1 stick?