• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are the best websites for downloading MP3's/Movies LEGALLY?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkJediSleikas

I started looking around for a website where I could, for a small monthly fee, download mp3s and movies. Has anyone had any experience with any such website?

If you do have any experience with one of these websites, please post about them. I'm especially interested to know about the amount of bandwidth available, quality of mp3s/movies, variety of mp3s/movies, and of course the cost for each website.

mark2kay

Registered
Flaming is bad. Warez is bad.

Try reading the rules, you might learn something.

Thelemac

timmyqwest

Disabled
mark2kay said:

Reword it a bit and the same could apply to you,

you my n00b little friend have been reported..

Back to the topic

while looking at the new ipod i noticed the site apple has (i dunno if it's theirs)

www.ipod.com link through there they claim "99 cents a song, 200,000 to choose from"

JML

mark2kay said:

lol I love noobs here, they always have such colorful things to say :)

He wants to pay for mp3's because he prefers not to steal them (obviously, unlike yourself). And why he doesn't just "buy the damn cd" is perhaps he would find it easy to search a large selection of movies and songs all from the comfort of his chair (think in terms of ordering a PPV movie instead of going to the video store). Also, discussion of warez and the like are not allowed here.

Calling someone a jackass is a personal attack. Personal attacks are not allowed here.

OP
DarkJediSleikas

DarkJediSleikas

Mark 2 Kay, I don't know who you are, but you probably won't be around here much longer with an attitude like that, so I'm not even gonna bother responding to you.

Thanks for the defense, guys. Not that I need it ;) , but its always appreciated :) .

I thought that the Apple site was only for Macs, and wouldn't be available for PCs until later this year.

I think that a large part of the music piracy problem is the lack of alternatives. I'll admit that I have downloaded off of Kazaa, but a large reason for that was that I didn't know of any other place to download music from. Paying 20 bucks for a CD with only a couple good songs and many filler songs is not worthwhile. Even 99 cents per song seems like a waste to me. I'm hoping to find something in the ~$5/month range for unlimited downloads.

JML

99 cents a song I think would be fine for dl just a few songs from a certain CD, but if you wanted every song on the CD, you'd prob end up paying less just buying the CD.

I really wish they would just lower the price of CD's all ready. If anything, they've removed the argument of "CD's are too expensive" from those that support file sharing. I'm not taking sides or trying to start a debate about file sharing, I'm just saying, it would be in their own best interest.

timmyqwest

Disabled
DarkJediSleikas said:
Even 99 cents per song seems like a waste to me. I'm hoping to find something in the ~$5/month range for unlimited downloads.

99 cents a song is a pretty good price when you think about it.

take the average CD it's got what? 15 songs and costs about 15 dollars? thats a doller a song

99 cents a song=CD without all the other crap that you must pay for.

just my 97 cents :D

Malpine Walis

Disabled
DarkJediSleikas said:

I think that a large part of the music piracy problem is the lack of alternatives. I'll admit that I have downloaded off of Kazaa, but a large reason for that was that I didn't know of any other place to download music from. Paying 20 bucks for a CD with only a couple good songs and many filler songs is not worthwhile. Even 99 cents per song seems like a waste to me. I'm hoping to find something in the ~$5/month range for unlimited downloads.

I would have to agree with you to the extent that there is a dearth of alternatives to download music. Also, music is more expensive than it needs to be. Heck, I would be willing to pay to download my music if the price was somehow indexed to the quality of the tracks.

Instead of $1/song, I would rather see the price be determined by the popularity of the music. Something like $2 for anything on the top 500 and then the price drops off as each song slides down the charts. Done that way, the music business could still make their pile and the die-hard fans could get all the filler tracks for $0.25 each. Personally, I DL a lot of classical music (anything made before World War 2 is presumptively legal to DL). However, I would be willing to drop a half a buck per track and nobody is getting any cash from me as it stands.

However, your idea of $5/month for all you can suck down is just not supportable on economic grounds. I am not even thinking of the RIAA end of the music business. It is true that a blank CD is cheap for you but the costs involved in getting a new CD to market are fairly high. The staff of a recording studio are all union workers making rather a good living, producers suck down six figure salaries and it can take months before a new album is ready to pass on to the factory for duplication. Then we get to the factories themselves. Care to guess how much a mass CD duplicator costs not only to purchase but also the electric bill to run the thing? Remember that this is not one of those boxes with six burners but a rater more involved business with lasers that are capable of burning aluminum blanks and huge hydraulic presses. Then there is marketing, shipping and even the electric bill and the property tax that the owner of your local mall has to pay.

The individual amounts that all of theses costs put into the cost of a CD may be small but they do add up. Of course, if we could rid the business of arrogant millionaires who contribute little to the actual product CDs might go down in price by quite a bit but that is not going to happen any time soon.

My rant aside, you did ask for a link where you could download movies. May I recommend www.movielink.com?

timmyqwest

Disabled
Malpine Walis said:

I would have to agree with you to the extent that there is a dearth of alternatives to download music. Also, music is more expensive than it needs to be. Heck, I would be willing to pay to download my music if the price was somehow indexed to the quality of the tracks.

Instead of $1/song, I would rather see the price be determined by the popularity of the music. Something like $2 for anything on the top 500 and then the price drops off as each song slides down the charts.[/url]

interesitng theory but it cant work...you cant tell me that the number 1 song on the top 500 is good, i have to tell me that, catch my drift.

Although if your basing it purely on popularity then yea thats a cool idea

Malpine Walis

Disabled
timmyqwest said:

interesitng theory but it cant work...you cant tell me that the number 1 song on the top 500 is good, i have to tell me that, catch my drift.

Although if your basing it purely on popularity then yea thats a cool idea

Yes, I was thinking of straight popularity. That way, people would pay the most money for what is hot right now and only pay a little bit for the obvious filler material. A dedicated fan could get the whole album for about the same price as today but there would be a financial incentive for the record companies to avoid publishing filler in the first place.

Down the road, the cost of music drops off once it gets old and would go in the bin at the front of the store anyway.

Also, as I said, I would be willing to pay a small fee for what I can get for free but I would be guaranteed a complete song with none of the stupid remixed parodies and a reasonable bit rate.

timmyqwest

Disabled
I dunno how true that is though, i cant go out and buy an old nirvana CD for under 13 bux...$2 cheaper, in all reality it's price hasnt changed at all :-(

The thing that makes me mad is that the majority of the money they make comes from tours, think about it $35 a ticekt for what we'll say 35,000 people thats $1,225,000 a night, you figure 2 or three shows at each city thats $3,675,000 a city, and how many cities does the average tour hit...15-20..more? thats (x15 we'll go with) $55,125,000 for a tour.

Now look at CD sales, how often does a record go platinum? not very often, but for fairness we'll go with that.

thats 1,000,000 sales, 1,000,000 x $15=$15,000,000

so what i'm getting at here is that they dont even make that much money off of the CD's, so why must we bust a nut just to enjoy their music, which mind you in turn makes me want to go pay more then $35 to watch them.

just my 2 cents