• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are the chances of getting a unlocked barton from newegg?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Rotory

Disabled
Does anybody know of a web site that has a "higher" possibility of getting an unlocked oem processor? Has anyone ordered an OEM barton 2500+ and it was unlocked?

What are the chances of getting a unlocked barton from newegg?
about 99 to 1
1 being that it's unlocked

... but as you can see from simpleman's sig: 2500 barton@ 2.47 GHz [224] x 11 locked Bartons can oveclock like champs as long as you have top notch RAM and power supply.

Don't know if he has a locked Barton but he is using the default multiplier of 11...

Hmmm, so your saying there a chance?

P.S. funny movie quote from Dumb and Dumber Scene is standing outside their aspen hotel at the end of the movie with the police "Mary: Lloyd this is my husband Teri, Lloyd: Husband??!! Then what was all that one in a million talk?"

Statistically, yes.

But why spend the extra $ on the 2800+,
spend it on quality RAM so you can use the default 2500+ multiplier of 11 since every locked 2500+ overclocks more than old unlocked 2500+s.

Something to think about.

MHz speed = [FSB] x multiplier
for 2500+ = [FSB] x 11
for 2800+ = [FSB] x 11.5

in case they're multiplier locked.

I've heard of people getting 2600+s that were unlocked from newegg. That was a few weeks ago, so it might not be the same now.

The Barton 2500+ that I ordered last week from Newegg just arrived today: IQYFA 0350 SPBW. If I had to guess, I'd say that you have very little chance of getting an unlocked Barton 2500+ from Newegg at this point.

[threadjack]
Question from somebody who's not been folowing:

Last I heard (a while ago) Bartons were unlocked. Now, it seems you're pretty much garunteed a locked Barton. So my question to you all is what about T-Breds? They still factory unlocked, or do I have to scrape around for an unlocked version of this wonder chip? (can't seem to find anything with the search button) And can either be unlocked somehow?
[/threadjack]

JigPu

No TbredB cores have been sighted past Week 39. Seems like AMD shut down production of those for the AthlonXPs. They are however still being produced for Applebred Durons.

No unlock can be applied to superlocked chips >week 39, this applies to both the disabled cache on Thorntons/Durons and the conventional method of altering multis. but work is in progress for using AMD's PowerNow! technology to adjust the multiplier via the L6 bridges in Windows.

Back