• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are the possible problems of burning at a higher than rated speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Like if I bought that Asus burner that is 52x24x52, and burned a cd rated at 40x at 52x, what would some of the problems that come up be? And if the cd was a rewritable rated at say 10x, and I burned it at 24x, would the problems be any different or avoidable due to the fact the cd can be fully erase?

Thanks

Tipycol

HeXenViRii

the rated speed on the cd media tells how fast the film on the cd can absorb the data being burned to it . If you burn faster then the media is rated , well u know what will happen ; nothing ; because the data in part or whole wont be on the cd ...

OP
T

Tipycol

HeXenViRii said:
the rated speed on the cd media tells how fast the film on the cd can absorb the data being burned to it . If you burn faster then the media is rated , well u know what will happen ; nothing ; because the data in part or whole wont be on the cd ...

Err...ok guess I'd have to find 24x CD-RW media then. I really like using cd-rw's, but it takes a little long to burn a lot of cd's at my current 8x.

Thanks

Tipycol

FTC

Hi,

Note that most media can and will write correctly at higher than speced speeds. For two reasons : One is that there is always a safety margin, and the other is that much media was designed when the max burner's speed was xxx and not tested at speeds above. In many of this cases manufacturers later found that the media could be burned faster, and just relabeled it....

Regards
FTC

OP
T

Tipycol

FTC said:
Hi,

Note that most media can and will write correctly at higher than speced speeds. For two reasons : One is that there is always a safety margin, and the other is that much media was designed when the max burner's speed was xxx and not tested at speeds above. In many of this cases manufacturers later found that the media could be burned faster, and just relabeled it....

Regards
FTC

Really? That's very interesting. Guess I'll just have to test it when I get a new burner, since CD-R's are so cheap anyway and Rewritables can...well...be rewritten:D

Thanks for the info

Tipycol

Xevuhtess7

yeah i have a 24x10x40 burner and its a piece of junk... made by some random company called buslink, but the faceplate looks exactly like a lite-on (?). i got a bunch of 16x cds and burned them all at 24x and they worked fine for me. i think my burner is screwy or sumtin, cause in device manager it showes up as a lite-on drive...... this could be pretty cool if i actually got a relabled lite-on....

OP
T

Tipycol

Xevuhtess7 said:
yeah i have a 24x10x40 burner and its a piece of junk... made by some random company called buslink, but the faceplate looks exactly like a lite-on (?). i got a bunch of 16x cds and burned them all at 24x and they worked fine for me. i think my burner is screwy or sumtin, cause in device manager it showes up as a lite-on drive...... this could be pretty cool if i actually got a relabled lite-on....

Well at least I know someone has done it successfully :)

Johnny Knoxville

Disabled
Xevuhtess7 said:

you did get a rebaged lite-on (buslink are rebaged lite-ons), now flash the firmware get it up to 32x :D

Xevuhtess7

how do i flash the firmware... i can burn with faster speeds just by flashing firmware? sweetness!! also.... my burner has errors every so often..... howcome such a good drive as a lite on has errors?

EeyoreX

Registered
Generally speaking there is not a problem using say, 16x media in a 24x burner for example. Most software and drives for burning recognize the lower rated media and throttle down the burn speed (unless the media is actually ok for the higher speeds). CD-R/W media will be used at the highest speed it (and the drive) are capable of, unless you manually lower burn speeds.

\Dan

Johnny Knoxville

Disabled
Xevuhtess7 said:
how do i flash the firmware... i can burn with faster speeds just by flashing firmware? sweetness!! also.... my burner has errors every so often..... howcome such a good drive as a lite on has errors?

most likely because you are using CMC (cheap media crap), check the manufacturer of your cds.

OP
T

Tipycol

Johnny Knoxville said:

most likely because you are using CMC (cheap media crap), check the manufacturer of your cds.

What manufacter(s) do you recommend?

Xevuhtess7

i have had like one errorous fujifilm cd burning at 24x when rated at 16x, and one or two errorous cds from imation burnign at 24x when rated at 32x.

also, will flashing firmware actually make my burner burn at faster rates? (referring to what johnny knoxville said). by the way i saw that movie last weekend.... i was laughing so hard i started to cry. great movie!

OP
T

Tipycol

Xevuhtess7 said:
i have had like one errorous fujifilm cd burning at 24x when rated at 16x, and one or two errorous cds from imation burnign at 24x when rated at 32x.

also, will flashing firmware actually make my burner burn at faster rates? (referring to what johnny knoxville said). by the way i saw that movie last weekend.... i was laughing so hard i started to cry. great movie!

About flashing, just check out this site and just check for your model and see if it can be OC'ed :)

Xevuhtess7

i just checked out that site... it doesn't have my model. i have an LTR-24102B, but the closets match on the site is LTR-24103. have you tried this? can i use that one?