• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are the signs that a card has been OVERCLOCKED?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wanna_b_rich_13

What are the most obvious ways to tell and what are the most unobvious? Are there any programs or ways with software to determine it?

Can manufacutrers tell if a card they received back that was "defective" actually be found out to be abused?

No, I think there's no way apart from obvious physical damage (card is up in smoke, GPU is melted) or obvious physical modifications (new heatsink, thermal paste).

That being said, I seriously hope you're not trying to RMA a card you killed by overclocking or because it didn't overclock enough.

Usually if the card suffers from artifacting, this is usually due to the memory and if it artifacts permanently then the memory is damaged. If you are trying to RMA a card that you have damaged then Im afraid you have no morals, especially if you are taking said card to a independant retailer who needs to feed their family from the shop. If you have damaged the card, you should accept it, its the risk we take and if you dont like it, dont overclock.

Craig

Does no one give the benefit of the doubt anymore?
He only asked a question...

I see he's selling 9 Radeons in the classifieds, maybe he's worried bout OTHER people sending him back damaged overclocked cards.

Damian said:
No, I think there's no way apart from obvious physical damage (card is up in smoke, GPU is melted) or obvious physical modifications (new heatsink, thermal paste).

That being said, I seriously hope you're not trying to RMA a card you killed by overclocking or because it didn't overclock enough.

No I am not. I am trying to protect myself from others that feel they can.

voodoomelon said:

I see he's selling 9 Radeons in the classifieds, maybe he's worried bout OTHER people sending him back damaged overclocked cards.

BINGO!

I just got my first email stating the card majically didn't work one day. I see how many people like to OC these cards and I currently asked the buyer to tell me exactly what happened.

I want to see if this is the case. I am sure glad there are some people out there who don't jump to conclusions without knowing all the facts...

if it comes from frys electronics take it back all u want =P

Well, not if u ruined it dont take it back, but I would if it didnt overclock enough for me =P

They wouldnt give me my job back, its payback.

its easy enough to make video cards that have a rom chip which writes on itself when you overclock it so when you return it, fried or not, they will know

Overclocker550 said:
its easy enough to make video cards that have a rom chip which writes on itself when you overclock it so when you return it, fried or not, they will know

Is there a way that you can go about doing this? Do manufcaturers have this or are you just saying that they could if they wanted to?

I don't think it something a person could do manufacturers could sure do it, but as soon as they did someone would find away to flash the chip back to its original state. As far as your situatuation goes, not much you can really do but have faith in people.

snvpa said:
I don't think it something a person could do manufacturers could sure do it, but as soon as they did someone would find away to flash the chip back to its original state. As far as your situatuation goes, not much you can really do but have faith in people.

That is what I thought. I wonder if places like newegg who have peice of cake return polies acutally know how much money they loose b/c of this.

Please note that I did not jump to a conclusion, read my wording.

If you are trying to RMA a card that you have damaged

Craig

Back