• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What audio playback program do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FB2k on my main rig, Winamp 2.71 on my carputer (which isn't in my car yet), and Winamp 2.91 was on my lappy (I got a new HDD). Now it's 5. something and I want 2.95 back.

edit:: OT...
Code:
//Sig Monster
#include <iostream.h>
void main()
{
for (int x=0;x!=0;x)
cout << "I am a sig monster"<<endl;
}

stratcatprowlin said:
Can someone tell me why foobar sounds the "best" ?
It doesn't sound better than any other player. If it sounds better to you, it's placebo. Either that or you're using DSPs or something. Even the developers say it doesn't sound better. Kernel streaming, for the last goddamn time, doesn't make it sound better, it only bypasses volume controls and makes it louder.

That said, I use Foobar2000 because of its extensive DSP, interface, lots of audiophile like plugins (not for sound quality but other stuff, all sorts of neat converters and tagging stuff that most people don't care about). I also like the database explorer plugin and it's wide selection of outputs.

Emon said:
That said, I use Foobar2000 because of its extensive DSP, interface, lots of audiophile like plugins (not for sound quality but other stuff, all sorts of neat converters and tagging stuff that most people don't care about). I also like the database explorer plugin and it's wide selection of outputs.

using foobar for the same reason :).

From what I understand, kernal streaming bypasses kmixer which downsamples everything, so it should sound slighty better through kernal streaming.

Cyrix_2k said:
From what I understand, kernal streaming bypasses kmixer which downsamples everything, so it should sound slighty better through kernal streaming.
How much does it downsample? Unless it's down to like 16-bit and 22 KHz, I doubt there is any audible difference. I can't tell the difference between 32-bit, 192 KHz and 32-bit 44 KHz on my E-MU 1212m and ER-6. Granted, not the greatest setup, but the ER-6 don't really need an amp, and have more detail than anything at or even above their price point.

Emon said:
How much does it downsample? Unless it's down to like 16-bit and 22 KHz, I doubt there is any audible difference. I can't tell the difference between 32-bit, 192 KHz and 32-bit 44 KHz on my E-MU 1212m and ER-6. Granted, not the greatest setup, but the ER-6 don't really need an amp, and have more detail than anything at or even above their price point.
I *think* it was like 12bit 44khz, but don't quote me on that. Personally, I can't hear a difference. I just use KS because it allows me to listen to music with wave out muted. My headphones aren't that good right now... They're $20 ATH-M2X's

Cyrix_2k said:
I *think* it was like 12bit 44khz, but don't quote me on that. Personally, I can't hear a difference. I just use KS because it allows me to listen to music with wave out muted. My headphones aren't that good right now... They're $20 ATH-M2X's
Wow, 12-bit 44 KHz? That's insane. I can't tell the difference either. Personally, I use ASIO. Partly for kicks and partly because it's supposed to be low latency or something. Meh.

Kmixer, in some cases *can* fudge with the LSB (Lowest Significant Bit) of 16bit audio reducing the available dynamic range from ~96dB to ~90dB (accuracy down to 15bits).

For most music it has no real effect as the noise floor of a recording is often higher than what 15 or 16 bit is limited to and most music has true dynamic range of about 10-20dB (ie. peak to average ratio). If one was listening in an extremely quiet environment (let's say 20dB background noise) with a dynamic recording with 20dB peak to average you'd need to listen at around 95-100dB average levels to hear the extra noise when the music goes quiet (ie. digital silence during the song).

Now what happens with 24bit audio and Kmixer? I don't know, but if it is similar to how 16bit audio is handled, you'll get the accuracy reduced to 23bit which is not a big deal at all. 24bit offers 144dB dynamic range while 23bit offers 138dB. The best analog equipment in the world is limited to 120dB dynamic range.

edit: I should add that when using Kmixer, put the Wave slider in Windows mixer to full. Any other setting than full will attenuate the signal and thus reduce the dynamic range even further. That's with most sound cards. I've read that certain Creative cards (apparently with their own mixer application) require the Wave at 75% or so to get non-attenuated and non-boosted audio.

Last edited:
I use Winamp3 for the skin I have (Metallica Skin), and the fact i'm just so damned used to it. Winamp5 requires you to hit a button to enque somethin, and I'm not used to that :D

Winamp 2.91 all the way. It is capable of playing videos and my mp3's. Yea i am used to it, damn skippy. But also it is nice to know it is not too bloated like WMP, and foobar is a lil too trimmed for me.

iTunes for Music and WOMP10 for Vids. I used to use Winamp, but its video playback leaves eomthing to be desired, and although I found it good for music it was rather unresponsive, taking a couple seconds for the Window to reappear after minimising. I didnt like the now playing screen either.

Back