• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Board Should I Get NF7-S or The Asus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Virtual-Reality

Registered
I need something that i can overclock well, and that can support the new AthlonXP 400FSB Chip, and runs on the nForce2 chipset with onboard sound and lan, also the board msut have 8x, also doing research shows that one of these boards is the one to have, i have previously owned an Abit KG7-RAID and i thought it was a nice board wit hsoem good features so can someone please advise me on which one to take? I need a reply ASAP Please

max0mus

Registered
NF7-S v2.0 bar none

I must say that Abit hit a home run with the NF7-S v2.0 from my point of view.

So far no complaints. Everything has been really smooth so far.

ru1

:)

Good choice. I have both the Asus and just got the Abit last week. They are both nice but the Asus has to have a VDD mod to be even close to the Abit in stock overclocking. The only thing that I do not like about the Abit is that my GF4 blocks the release hooks for the ram. This was not a problem on the Asus. However, I must admit that I have not had to remove the ram from overclocking on the Abit like I would occasionally have to do with the Asus when it failed the memory test. ru1

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
The NF7-S has just about all of the BIOS settings you could ever need. Nothing else can touch it.

trdsw20

Banyan said:
u are asking for an unbiased opinion in the abit forum... eh?

Thats the truth isnt it. You obviuosly made your choice already or you wouldnt have posted it over here and called the A7n8x the Asus.

OP
V

Virtual-Reality

Registered
lol well i didnt know its full name rofl, well i knew it but i couldnt be bothered to look it up! well i posted in the abit forum cus i had previously owned an abit and just wanted an idea of how good the nf7-s is, well hopefully i should have it by Tuesday! i cant wait!!!

OP
V

Virtual-Reality

Registered
lol well i didnt know its full name rofl, well i knew it but i couldnt be bothered to look it up! well i posted in the abit forum cus i had previously owned an abit and just wanted an idea of how good the nf7-s is, well hopefully i should have it by Tuesday! i cant wait!!!

The Blazer

I used to hang out on the official MSI forum (nForce section, lot's of nice people there), the forum manager was using an K7N420 Pro at first but he switch it for an Abit NV7-133R latter on... :rolleyes:

Bottom line is if you go in the Asus section I woudn't be surprise if some would have answered NF7-S... simply because it's a good product.

trdsw20

yeah thats true

Its just that throwing an argument like that in here is like throwing fresh meet to a pack of wolves. They would be all over iut and there will be no chance.

1Time

I bought the Asus v1.04 a while back, I think before the NF7-S was available, but I haven't yet been able to O/C my A7N8X as easily or as successfully as I'd hoped. It's a real nice board, top quality and all, but I'd trade it in for a new Abit if I could.

Edit: of cource, it's probably more accurate to say my lack of O/Cing success is due more to operator error than my mobo.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I was thinking I couldn't afford a nice new mobo so I was looking at getting a used PII 400 just to have as a backup computer if the PPro rig died. It would have cost me $200 after I got a sound card and a pedestrian graphics card for it.

Well I figured out I could have my current rig without the extra 80Gb HD and 19" monitor for just over $400. It was a no brainer. Buying used doesn't pay off most of the time unless it's going real cheap and less than half of new prices.

You could upgrade to the NF7-S for $120 and use the parts you already have. Then sell your Asus for maybe two thirds of what you bought it for. Kinda like waiting for that rebate when you sell the old mobo.

1Time

Audioaficionado said:
You could upgrade to the NF7-S for $120 and use the parts you already have. Then sell your Asus for maybe two thirds of what you bought it for. Kinda like waiting for that rebate when you sell the old mobo.

True, just haven't considered the trade-in cost worth it yet. Probably ought to just go ahead and do it though, and maybe I will. Thanks again.