• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what burning software for Win 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repo man11

A few years ago, I bought Roxio Easy CD/DVD 6 from Newegg. I've used it on multiple computers, and been happy with it's performance.

When I upgraded to a P5Q Pro and an 8400 this time last year, it wouldn't work with this motherboard. I bought an LG SATA DVD burner, and used the version of Nero that it shipped with.

I'm now setting up a computer for some friends as a gift. An Epox 8RDA3+, an XP-M @2.3 GHz, 1.5 gigabytes of PC3200, and a Maxtor 320 gigabyte SATA drive on the Silicon Image RAID controller. Though I have to buy a decent AGP card, it is running 7 very nicely.

Roxio 6 will not work on Windows 7. The burning software selection on Newegg is pretty depressing; the newest versions of both Roxio and Nero have dismal reviews. Who is using what successfully with Windows 7?

DaveHCYJ

Win7 has built in DVD and CD burning capabilities. What features do you need out of burning software beyond just disk burning. The selection of free software these days is pretty good if you don't need bells and whistles (which you can usually get through other separate free applications). I use ImgBurn out of long time habbit for burning iso's, although I noticed Win7 can burn them natively now, but I haven't tried it.

OP
R

repo man11

I'd like an application that (for one example) gives you the option of copying a music CD in one or two clicks of a mouse. I'm not seeing this in Win 7. If there is free software that is very easy to use (my friends aren't very computer literate) please name it. Thanks.

muddocktor

Retired
Nero 7 Ult. seems to be working on my Win7 x64 install so far. I haven't used it much yet but what I've used it for has worked. You might be able to find a good deal on Nero 7 on fleabay or something.

OP
R

repo man11

I use CD Burner XP and really like it. Much smaller footprint than my old copy of Nero and does a great job. Oh, and it's free. :)

I like this so far, but with one exception; when I copy a music CD with Nero, it accesses an online database, and downloads the song titles. Both I, and my friends, are middle aged, and still make use of those round silver things in our cars for listening to music. Not having the song titles on the copy isn't the end of the world, but it is a nice feature, and one I'd be willing to pay for.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
I use the round shiny things too, but my car's cd player isn't smart enough to tell me the title.

nd4spdbh2

I use the round shiny things too, but my car's cd player isn't smart enough to tell me the title.

... simple solution. An axxess ipod into OEM radio box... got one on ebay for my 01 chevy for 9.50 usd shipped. Plugs into the aux cd changer port on the back of the radio and gives me either an ipod dock hookup or a 3.5mm headphone jack selectable by choosing odd or even track numbers. its bitchin.

Regardless

IMGBURN... i love it its da ****! although its more of an ISO burner more than an audio cd ripper.

mjw21a

Personally I find for basic use CDBurnerXP is the best thing out there. A simple straightforward interface makes it great for me to install on clients systems and it's even free for corporate use.

As far as a more full featured product goes, well, I left Nero after version 6. Nero Ultimate V6 was the best of Nero as far as I'm concerned, I've since come to highly recommend AShampoo Burning Studio due to it's being full featured but with a sinple and easy to use interface. Only necessary if you're running XP though as 7 does pretty much all of this except for music burning.

Simplicity in use is always what I look for, but I don't want to miss out on features. Ashampoo gives me the best of both worlds. Only downside is its commercial/pay for software. I tend to use the video conversion capabillities, waiting for a version that uses GPGPU acceleration though.

Win7 has built in DVD and CD burning capabilities. What features do you need out of burning software beyond just disk burning. The selection of free software these days is pretty good if you don't need bells and whistles (which you can usually get through other separate free applications). I use ImgBurn out of long time habbit for burning iso's, although I noticed Win7 can burn them natively now, but I haven't tried it.

Windows 7's ISO burning works just fine. It works well and is easy to use. Right click the ISO and tell Windows to burn it.

Paradoxmaker

Nero 7 Ult. seems to be working on my Win7 x64 install so far. I haven't used it much yet but what I've used it for has worked. You might be able to find a good deal on Nero 7 on fleabay or something.

Thats what i've been using on My Win7 64 install also and have had no issues with it at all..

jmdixon85

I'm also using Nero 7 ultra on Win7 Ultimate with no issues. I tried using Ashampoo after havin issues with Nero9 but found video burning to be not as good as using Nero vision so I went back to Nero 7.

Neuromancer

I'd like an application that (for one example) gives you the option of copying a music CD in one or two clicks of a mouse. I'm not seeing this in Win 7. If there is free software that is very easy to use (my friends aren't very computer literate) please name it. Thanks.

Windows Media player?

Oh yah I use imgburn for all my backups image burning stuff.

I think Vista/7 even include BDRW support now too yes?

OP
R

repo man11

Windows Media player?

Oh yah I use imgburn for all my backups image burning stuff.

I think Vista/7 even include BDRW support now too yes?

I have Nero 7 essentials on my machine, which was included with my LG DVD burner. When I pop a music CD into my computer, one of the things on the menu is "Copy CD with Nero burning ROM". I like that, and I'd like to have that capability on the computer I'm giving to my friends. Edit: to be crystal clear, when I make a backup with Nero, it asks me if I want to access an online database for the song titles. If I answer yes, it downloads the song titles, and when I put the backup in my computer and open it with WMP, the song titles and album art are displayed exactly as they are with the original. Not having this ability is a deal breaker for me.

Edit: out of desperation, I tried the CD that had Nero 7 essentials. I was sure it wouldn't work, because it was included with an SATA burner, and this machine only has PATA. With older burners I've had, the version of Nero included was keyed to that burner, and wouldn't install on other systems. But it installed correctly, and is working fine. The only downside is that it nags you to upgrade. Which I wouldn't mind doing, except that every review I've read of the latest version of Nero has been bad. Anyway, problem solved, and thank you for your help.

Last edited:

shill82

I like the Free DeepBurner but now that Win7 has native iso support that works for me as well.