• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can i do to boost my 3dmark score?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avrum

Registered
My rig:
p4 2.4c --> (will soon be oc'ed to 2.8 [stable at this clock speed])
768 ddr 400 (running duel channel, with ramsinks)
Radeon 9800 XT 256
Asus 875 deluxe mobo
Case is relatively well cooled (idle CPU temp 28-29, w. full load 30-33)

My score:
Around 5900

This seems low to me... perhaps i'm wrong. Advice? Comments?

OP
A

Avrum

Registered
(Running latest catalyst drivers, btw)
Considering switching to omega drivers.

Darryl_D

your current 3dmark score should be well enough for mostly anything!!! (well unless you count hardcore games like farcry... but you should still be able to run that pretty well). You could o/c your video card. Last i checked the program to use (well tye program i used on my 9600 rp like half a year ago anyway) was radclocker... it allows you to o/c both your core and your memory. To o/c your video card simply download the program, then scale both the clock speed, and the memory higher... run 3dmark 03.. until you see some sort of anamoly, or the picture goes bad keep upping the core and mem....

OP
A

Avrum

Registered
What system component should be upgraded first? And how?

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
well if you were going to insist on upgrading anything then id either replace the p4 with a more powerful p4 (maybe a 3.0c), or even better replace the cpu&motherboard with an athlon64 setup.
Seriosuly tho, up your cpu to 2.8ghz and theres nothing wrong with your system...its a very repectable gaming rig!
I only managed 6738 3dmrk's with my old fx5950, and that was with 2gb pc3500 and an [email protected] 2.5ghz...

micamica1217

Avrum said:
What system component should be upgraded first? And how?

your memory might be the first thing I'd look at...
btw, did you try changing your mem ratio to 5/4 and getting a better OC from that CPU?

mica

OP
A

Avrum

Registered
I am relatively new to overclocking and I have been using my mobo's default oc feature which handles all the settings. Can you briefly explain the significance of memory ratios?

(Having just finished my first year of computer engineering, i'm ashamed i don't know more about hardware)

Yuriman

Firstly, the rest of your system wont affect 3dmark03 much. A faster card will give a much bigger increase than *doubling* your cpu speed. Of course, this does not hold true in the real world, but 3dmark is a synthetic benchmark.

OP
A

Avrum

Registered
So i'm told...

I bought my 9800 xt yesterday, so ... i don't think i'm going to be upgrading the card anytime soon. :-/

Drec

that score isnt bad at all, i score a 1100 and am able to play Far Cry at 1024x768 with low detail and all eye candy off...but i average 50-90 FPS. not bad for a 40 dollar card in my opinion. if i had known the importance of a video card when i put the system together i definatly would have reconsidered. but i manage with it, and your score is 6x better then mine so i dont see a problem here. :)

OP
A

Avrum

Registered
Well..it's all relative...

I had lunch at ATI today and got my friends to explain memory ratios to me. I'm curious though -- with regards to finding the RIGHT ram ratio that achieves the greatest stability -- is it just guess and check? :eh?: