• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what can i do to raise my ppd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dillinja666

Im running the linux vm on my rig in my sig. Is there some setting I can run to do bigger WU's or higher point WU's. Right now I burn a WU in & hours, I hear about people taking days to clear one big one so there must be something I missed....thanks everyone...

btw ive gotten myself up to 45311 points so far off 42 WU's...a lame 1285 place on out team :(

go team 32

Adak

Dillinja, :welcome: I just checked your folding stats, and you're looking good. :clap:

Your cpu isn't eligible for the extra large WU's. In the tests that were made, no regular quad could complete them before the deadline had passed. Eight cores are the minimum number to qualify.

Don't worry about your place on the team - it will change very quickly. When you get to page 4, that's when it really starts slowing down. Every page thereafter is considerably harder to get past, than the last one.

Have fun with it though - it's really all for the science.

Porvalsh

Are you turning your computer off at night? It seems like you should get a bit higher ppd than 1 or two WU. HFM.net puts my production at 5,000-6,000ppd.

OP
dillinja666

dillinja666

i run it at night, and after work, when im at work i have it off sometimes. hfm says im getting 6000ish...i wanted moar lol

dz_jad

Eight cores are the minimum number to qualify.

Dude. I have a brand-spanking-new 8-core machine (dual quads) at work. There are some guys at work that have dual core machines that are 5 years old. Talk about nerd-envy. I wish it were my machine--then I'd be able to fold it :). But for now, I just run flight simulations and build code...but, yeah.

Sorry about the random geek-out :p

Way to fold dillinja666!

Porvalsh

you could fold your graphics card.

It looks like you can only get about 3840 out of your CPU despite what HFM says. HFM doesn't take into account down time for uploading/downloading and anytime the folding client is off.

orion456

btw ive gotten myself up to 45311 points so far off 42 WU's...a lame 1285 place on out team :(

go team 32

It's far better to have 1,000 guys with 45,000 points each, than a few guys with millions of points. If something happens to the big guy, team 32 loses a lot of points all at once, so big guys are a huge risk to a team -- we have seen such losses in the past.

Folding needs lots of single CPUs to create stability; not to mention their owner's great contributions in the forum and team spirit.

Every contribution, big or small is significant because we never know which set of WUs may be key to this complex protein puzzle.

Keep on folding! :salute:

dz_jad

you could fold your graphics card.

It looks like you can only get about 3840 out of your CPU despite what HFM says. HFM doesn't take into account down time for uploading/downloading and anytime the folding client is off.

From harlam himself:

HFM already has this capability.

Edit -> Preferences -> Options -> Calculate PPD based on == EffectiveRate

EffectiveRate == (Current Time - Download Time) / Last Completed Frame

EffectiveRate == (1:00am - 12:00am) / Frame 10 (or 10% in most cases)

EffectiveRate == 6 minutes

OP
dillinja666

dillinja666

yay 52991 and 46wu's down. its been less then a month since I started folding, hopefully by the end of this month ill hit the 100k mark...

DismorphiC

Somebody, has caught FAH fever ^^^ ! :)

A little competition does a lot for motivation!!

I did BOINC for 7+ years and never joined a team like this, never was in a forum devoted to helping us out, etc.

Finally Mr. PeddlerOfFlesh invited me to do something with more immediate results. I caught the fever for sure, and trying to stay up with Tuigi69 has kept my average PPD pretty high. This of course benefits us all.... keep on folding!! 45kppd is pretty good for a n00b! Keep folding the good fold! :comp:

Giz

A little competition does a lot for motivation!!

Just got another folding rig online as well as my sig rig and installed VMplayer/Linux with SMP on both, and running GPU2 on both.

Look over your shoulder Dillinja666, I'm coming!! ...slowly...

I've been chasing Mpegger (just behind you) for a few days now too. He's a hard one to catch.
Only started folding a few weeks ago. This is addictive!

Fold On!! :attn: