• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what can I get for £800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ranarama

I'm going to build a PC for the first time and I am lost with the amount of different options available.

I am in the UK so ideally want a UK supplier in case there are any problems.

I have around £800 to spend and I am looking at getting the following:
-processor (was looking at p4 2.8 800fsb) +fan+heatsink
-mobo (preferably with basic on board sound as I have a separate sound card for music making)
-ram (at least 512mb pc3200)
-h/d (80g 8M cache)
-graphics card (totally lost here)
-case (again totally lost)
-o/s (xp)

I don't need:
-sound card; I already have an m-audio audiophile for music. While I like playing games the sound is not huge on my priority list and I am happy with plain stereo over headphones (annoys the wife otherwise)
-keyboard & mouse
-monitor (syncmaster 753 17") please tell me if you think it's rubbish. Is it worth investing in an LED screen yet?
-cd/dvd

All I'm asking is what do you think I can get for my money and should I be looking at an AMD system instead of Intel.

I've never overclocked before but I am not afraid of trying it so alternative suggestions are good.

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

pranks7er

the case do u want pre modded or just a standard case?

ebuyer.com have really cheap standard cases, also check out dabs.com and komplett.co.uk

o and AMB much cheaper rem that u need SKT A board