• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what can I use to lap besides water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Location
New Hampshire
Hi all, I'm doing some upgrading today and I need some tips for lapping a SB cooler and maybe my cpu cooler if I am feeling confident. I read what seems to be a good guide here:

http://www.frozencpu.com/guides/Lapping_Kit.DOC

And I know a wet sand produces a better finish than dry. My question is, what can I use besides water or special lapping fluid to wet the paper? Would windex be okay? Do I need to avoid certain chemicals when lapping copper and aluminum surfaces? Thanks for youe help!
 

drewthomas14

Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2002
Location
Fort Wayne, IN
yeah, dillute it with water :) that's what you're supposed to do when lapping. is there a reason you dont want to use water? i've used dry sandpaper b4 with this combo and it worked .
 
OP
V

veryhumid

Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Location
New Hampshire
drewthomas14 said:
yeah, dillute it with water :) that's what you're supposed to do when lapping. is there a reason you dont want to use water? i've used dry sandpaper b4 with this combo and it worked .

I've been doing a bunch of reading, it seems like wet is definitely the way to go. That is the way we lapped steel samples at school. Check out the link to frozen cpu. They mention "flash corrosion". I'm not sure exactly what it is, but if can find a simple alternative i'll take it.
 

insulglass

Easypckits Guy
Joined
May 4, 2003
Location
Alabama
veryhumid said:
Hi all, I'm doing some upgrading today and I need some tips for lapping a SB cooler and maybe my cpu cooler if I am feeling confident. I read what seems to be a good guide here:

http://www.frozencpu.com/guides/Lapping_Kit.DOC

And I know a wet sand produces a better finish than dry. My question is, what can I use besides water or special lapping fluid to wet the paper? Would windex be okay? Do I need to avoid certain chemicals when lapping copper and aluminum surfaces? Thanks for youe help!

Hi, VERYHUMID - you should stick to simple water. It is OK to use a few drops of dish soap if you like; this serves to make the water "wetter" if you will. Other solvent based fluids simply evaporate too fast to give the most benefit. Assitionally, you will need LOTS of fluid throughout the process, anything other than water will get very expensive rather quickly.

You should avoid any chemicals that involve any petroleum distillates, oils, or waxes. These will be difficult to clean off when you are through and may clog the pores fo the base metal, hampering thermal conduction.

If you are looking for an alternate guide, feel free to visit the FAQ page of my site at www.easypckits.com, there is a great deal of information and "how-to" regarding lapping there. No matter where you get your supplies, feel free to PM or drop me an email at any time - I'd be glad to help.

Dave
[email protected]
 

intx

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2004
for those who are curious, the downside to using water is corrosion. however i doubt there'd be much corrosion in the end process if you dry it appropriately and give it a nice clean with near-pure alcohol.
 

LabRat23

Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2004
Location
VA
I would like to know if anyone has tried to use honing oil. It's dirt cheap at any hardware store. It seems to me that it would make sense to use something designed for the task. Also there is little worry about corrosion, just make sure to use a little alcohol to clean it off.
 

insulglass

Easypckits Guy
Joined
May 4, 2003
Location
Alabama
LabRat23 said:
I would like to know if anyone has tried to use honing oil. It's dirt cheap at any hardware store. It seems to me that it would make sense to use something designed for the task. Also there is little worry about corrosion, just make sure to use a little alcohol to clean it off.

Petroleum distillates, oils, and waxes are definitely NOT recommended.
 

skou

Senior Member
Joined
May 28, 2002
The corrosion from water takes some time to effect. We're talking days, or weeks, not minutes. Technically, it starts instantly, but you'd never be able to measure it. It takes weeks to even show up.

Lap with water, and a drop of soap in the water bowl, you'll be fine. Dry it off, after you're done, and everything will be OK.

steve
 

Korndog

Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Location
California
LabRat23 said:
I would like to know if anyone has tried to use honing oil. It's dirt cheap at any hardware store. It seems to me that it would make sense to use something designed for the task. Also there is little worry about corrosion, just make sure to use a little alcohol to clean it off.

polishing waxes and chemicals are NOT designed for this heatsinks. What makes them so bad is that it actually leaves a layer which is suppose to protect the surface, but instead will insulate the copper, killing heat transfer.
 
OP
V

veryhumid

Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Location
New Hampshire
woo! sano! Anyway thanks guys for posting. I'll stick with water and a little dish soap. Too bad I have to order all the paper because the hardware stores around here only carry maybe 3/6 that I want.
 
OP
V

veryhumid

Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Location
New Hampshire
wow it even comes with a flat surface! As soon as I get paid I'll order one. Can I use this for more than one CPU heatsink? Or is this a one use kit?
 

insulglass

Easypckits Guy
Joined
May 4, 2003
Location
Alabama
veryhumid said:
wow it even comes with a flat surface! As soon as I get paid I'll order one. Can I use this for more than one CPU heatsink? Or is this a one use kit?

Most people can lap two sinks or more, but be aware that "your mileage may vary." Keys to success:

1) read the instructions thoroughly
2) use lots of water
3) make sure the heat sink has a micro bevel on the side to prevent snagging
4) did I mention to use lots of water?
5) light, even, steady pressure (let the paper do the work)
6) gallons of water
7) blot and dry the sandpaper flat
8) use a lot of water.

:D

Dave
[email protected]
 
OP
V

veryhumid

Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Location
New Hampshire
perfect timing for setting up another P4 with my swiftech, I'll be sure to order a kit from you and thanks very much for the tips!
 

Bacchana1

Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2002
Location
Fort Wayne, IN
*spazzed* said:
if it's aluminum that you;re lapping, as much as you try to prevent "corrosion", aluminum actually, by nature creates a layer of "corrosion" if you will inorder to protect it :)

right...and to further clarify the aluminum forms it's own oxide (aluminum oxide :eh?: ) in the presence of oxygen (open air, not just water). I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect heat transfer much if at all. Even if you were one of those crazy hype following overclockers who decided to try to get rid of the oxide layer on your aluminum heatsink, you'd probably have a difficult time getting rid of the oxygen...and you'd be really sick :p