• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what chipset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seamadan000

hello all, i am what you call a newbie, and would value your opinions on what chipset is best for building a system (my first!!!)with a Athlon XP processor, via 266a, ali-majik, AMD 761, SiS, etc.

Also I have done some research on motherboards and i am leaning twards a Gigabyte 7DXR+, is this a good board, or should i consider one with a newer chipset (maybe the 7VTXH+). Or should i go with a different company like Abit? Like i said, im a newbie so the help of you computer gods would be much appriciated? Thanks
________
Ford Country Squire

Last edited:
the 266a is the chipset to beat nowdays, last time i heard sis and amd chipsets were kind of buggy.

weasel said:
the 266a is the chipset to beat nowdays, last time i heard sis and amd chipsets were kind of buggy.

Chipset to beat now is the KT333, and I got me one, it is the fastest till the KT333A chipset comes out that will support agp 8x and I am sure will have a few revisions.

Cisco Kid

by time amd makes a chip that will take advantage of the full potential of the kt 333 they will have changed thier die size so its no worth it to me. why buy a board if it wont work with the hammers?

weasel said:
by time amd makes a chip that will take advantage of the full potential of the kt 333 they will have changed thier die size so its no worth it to me. why buy a board if it wont work with the hammers?

I dunno I think you will see an AMD chip taking advantage of the KT333 chipset .

For me it was a worthwhile upgrade from the original 266 chipset.

Now I just have to wait for some REAL pc2700 cas 2 to appear, this is the closest I have found as it is just starting to become available. The ram thing is kinda misleading

http://www.ncix.com/Canada/productdetail.cfm?sku=7501

Canadian $$ is approx $117 US

Cisco KId

i think the hammers are supposed to be on a smaller die
maybe the last xp's will have some support but it wont be long till the hammers are out. the 333 may be a great chip, but also the socket a(462) may be short lived w/the 333. so for me it not really worth upgrading till the hammers are out-imho

the t-breds? yeah they have a smaller die but i think the hammers will be even smaller. the t-breds are socket a so they will fit any of the boards you were looking at and they do not support the kt333 chipset, yet anyway. i've heard people say the tbreds are out but havent seen 'em yet. you might want to wait a few weeks to buy an amd processor 'cause the tbreds are slightly better (should overclock more/produce less heat) and even if you dont want a tbred the XPs will drop in price.

DaddyB said:
the t-breds? yeah they have a smaller die but i think the hammers will be even smaller. the t-breds are socket a so they will fit any of the boards you were looking at and they do not support the kt333 chipset, yet anyway. i've heard people say the tbreds are out but havent seen 'em yet. you might want to wait a few weeks to buy an amd processor 'cause the tbreds are slightly better (should overclock more/produce less heat) and even if you dont want a tbred the XPs will drop in price.
I don't think the first stepping are going to overclock any better than the xp's. I think the socket will change with the bartons if I remember right. one great thing about the kt333 is that it has 1/5 divisor so you should be able to get a fsb of 200+ if memory can handle it

From all of the research I've been doing, the 333 is only marginally better than the KT266A. The clock speed of the CPU is the limiting factor, not the memory clock. The KT266A also has a bit more maturity and stability behind it.

What cha talking about bro? The AMD761 is a rock solid chipset. it's in the GA-7DXR+. The only stupid thing Gigabyte did was team it up with a 686b south bridge. the GA-7DXR+ is a good stable board. It lacks some tweaks and the dipswitch thing(stupid idea) are its only down side. It has RAID 133 and USB2.0 with its own controller(no more worrying about FSB crap outs). I have the board at 140FSB. at Stock it's close to the Kt266a chipset. It how ever does lack a 6 divisor.

your best bet if you don't want to wait around to see what is going to happen in the next two weeks is to go buy a 266a. it is the best you will get, bang for your buck. the 333 is not worth the money!

Rafjr00 said:
your best bet if you don't want to wait around to see what is going to happen in the next two weeks is to go buy a 266a. it is the best you will get, bang for your buck. the 333 is not worth the money!

It would be worth it just for the 1/5 divisor not to mention the higher ddr voltage and vcore.

SpyderMatrix said:
no i got some inside info and with a bios upgrade you will be able to thank you but its ok
Tebore is right. there is going to be a socket change before the hammer I think it will be intiated with the barton

SpyderMatrix said:
so my direct info from amd is wrong ok

I did a little research it seem that the socket change comes with the clawhammer. so the barton is going to be the last cpu using socket 462:)

Back